palbunch

Apr 22, 2008
Put newBoysen reeds in moved the jet needle down 1 notch from middle to lean a bit, also I was told to adjust the air screw in 1/4 to 1/2turn and do test. I cant find an air screw just the idle screw facing out towards me . Does any one have diagram of a 87 kdx carb, or know where to adjust air on carb?

Core87

Jul 4, 2006
Hi palbunch, I have two of these carbs and neither of them have an adjustment for the air screw. The only adjustments can be made by changing the low speed jet/ idle jet. If the new reeds require a richer setting then 5 to 10 larger on the idle jet should be enough. second from the bottom on the needle is factory setting according to my w/shop manual. Always check the plug colour if in doubt.

palbunch

Apr 22, 2008
Thanks Core87

I believe i have a #320 main jet stock and Boysen says to go down with the main jet 1 size to start.I was told middle on the jet needle was stock I moved it down 1 to lean according to Boysen. My plug does seem to be black so I guess I am to rich, that is why it is bogging at mid to full throttle.
Everyone tells me there should be an air screw.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
There is not an air screw on the 1987 KDX200. There is on 1988+, but not on the 1987 (and some earlier versions).

Start with your pilot, as it affects all other circuits.

Top Bottom