TomDez

Oct 30, 2001
One of the first things I did to my new KDX 220 was remove the air box cover. Now the air filter gets wet and filthy after a couple rides in wet conditions. Rather than clean the filter after every ride , I am replacing the cover. Has anyone modified the cover in such a way that seems to keep the crud out but still gets the same performance as removal of the cover?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by TomDez
One of the first things I did to my new KDX 220 was remove the air box cover. Now the air filter gets wet and filthy after a couple rides in wet conditions. Rather than clean the filter after every ride , I am replacing the cover. Has anyone modified the cover in such a way that seems to keep the crud out but still gets the same performance as removal of the cover?

This is to be expected as the filter is more exposed to the elements, however the flipside is the airflow into your engine is greatly increased. Its generally wise to clean your filter after a couple of rides, if not every ride along with greasing your chain and cleaning your bike. Just part of the maintenance for the bike that needs to be done. With that being said you could only chop part of the lid out or just drill a few (10-12) holes in the lid. Another option might be a filter skin.

-Maurice

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
I left the lid on and removed the snorkel and drilled some 1 1/2" holes. Seems to work good for me.

Sounds like your bikes getting air though, that's what you want.

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I removed the snorkel and drilled about 6 1 inch holes in the remaining plastic cover. Since I ride in a lot of dust most the year, I've gotten in the habit cleaning the filter after every ride.

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
I drilled one inch holes and pressed short lengths of one inch diameter thin wall aluminum tubing in them. (Home Depot, actual O.D. was about 1.03 inch)They act like stacks and prevent water from washing in the holes.
I left the snorkel in-place at first, but took it out when I realized it directs the airflow to just one spot on the filter. You could cut the inside portion on the snorkel off so that it still fits nicely in the airbox lid, but doesn't extend down to the filter.
Two one inch holes increases the flow area by about 50% based on the snorkel inlet area.

Top Bottom