DougMXer

Oct 17, 2001
Howdy all, need the advice of fellow DRNers particularly Eric Gorr if possible. I have disassembled the air box on my 01YZ250 and am wondering what sealers I should use where.
Trying to explain the design is difficult. The air boot, fits into the air box, there is a foam liner on the edge of the air boot, and then the plastic air filter seat with studs coming out of if that fits over the foam sealer.
What I want to know is where do I use weather strip adhesive, do I need to glue the foam liner onto the air boot? If so with what and any other places that need to be sealed

Please advise
Thanks Doug:)

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
I have an 00 YZ 250 and it sounds like the same design for the airbox. I was about to seal mine when I noticed the foam, so I called Eric Gorr and asked him about it. He told me that since the bike had the foam, I didn't need to worry about any extra sealing.

Hope this helps.
Bill

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
If you seal it DO NOT USE SILICONE. Silicone is gasoline soluble and will quickly degrade possibly causeing you carb to stick open. Useyellow or black weather strip adhesive or the Yamabond equivelant.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Use RTV silicone gas and oil does not effect it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by slideways11
Use RTV silicone gas and oil does not effect it.
:think NO NO NO NO!!!

Take some cured silicone seal and drop it in some gas. Over time the gas will disolve it.

Why is it so hard to learn from others experences??:mad:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
3M weatherstrip adhesive available at most auto parts stores. It comes in black or yellow, if it doesn't have the word "black" in the name, it's yellow. Get the black, you can make a bigger mess and no one will know. ;)

DougMXer

Oct 17, 2001
Since this bike has the foamliner between the air boot flange and the air filter plate, does this mean no sealing is necessary?

Should I soak the foam liner with foam air filter oil before reassembly, and is any glue? needed to fix the foam liner to the air boot flange before reassembly?

Thanks Doug

DougMXer

Oct 17, 2001
There is still the very small possibility that dirt could be drawn through the foam liner even in its compressed state. Soaking the liner in foam air filter oil and assembling with grease on the air boot lip however should eliminate this small possibility even if it is a bit of overkill I think

Top Bottom