Motoracer_16

Sep 28, 2001
I need control in the air. I know how to bring my front end up, but every time I Try to tap on the brakes to bring it down, I end up throwing my bike off track and landing wrong.
I'm more afraid of bringing the front end up too high and not being able to bring it back down. and how long should I hold the brake? and do I absolutely need the clutch in?
Thanks for anyone who helps.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by Motoracer_16
I need control in the air. I know how to bring my front end up, but every time I Try to tap on the brakes to bring it down, I end up throwing my bike off track and landing wrong.
I'm more afraid of bringing the front end up too high and not being able to bring it back down. and how long should I hold the brake? and do I absolutely need the clutch in?
Thanks for anyone who helps.

Normally it just requires a tap but sometimes requires you to hold it on a little longer. And yes you need to pull the clutch in. If you don't it will kill the bikes motor and you will be nose diving and have no power to bring it back up.

Try just jumping and pulling in the clutch while in the air and when you get used to that it should be no problem to get the brake tap in there.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
If you can, get some videotape of yourself jumping. Sometimes when I've felt I'm just about to loop out, the front wheel has actually been like 2 inches higher than the rear and I've been frozen solid on the bike.

I've never had any problems with tapping the brake in the air when I'm prepared to do it. Just keep jumping and trying it on something reasonably safe.

kfrost

Apr 27, 2001
Moto racer. One thing to note, relying on your back brake is not a good technique to rely if you concentrating on getting around the track efficiently. It's more of a corrective technique to use when your in trouble. Too many times riders get in a bad habit of relying on this in jumping. You should rely more on using body positioning and throttle control to "fly" your bike.

Having said that, it is a good technique to learn. I would suggest you find a nice easy table top or a short double that has a very forgiving landing to practice on. As others mentioned before, the duration you hold the brake will depend on how out of shape you are in the area. Most of the time, you'll probably find yourself just tapping the brake.

If you are having problems or uncomfortable using the clutch, my first advice would be to get to use with riding with one finger or two on the clutch at all times. Clutch control is a very important aspect of riding on all parts of the track and not just for jumping. Getting power to the ground, getting you out of trouble in the turns etc. So once you get comfortable using your clutch while on the bike, using it over a jump or through a turn will all become second nature.

I'm not advertising for them but I would suggest you get or borrow one of the Semics or Bailey tapes on jumping and/or cornering. They do a better job of explaining that I do. :)

Top Bottom