Nov 28, 2006
Sounds like there are many different opinions about how to clean an air filter. I googled it and came up with a wide range of ways, everything from rinsing with just water to using gas or kerosene to using soap and warm water.

What do YOU do?

And I'm talking about the "cleaning" step only, there's really only one way to oil your filter lol.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Usually and aerosol cleaner and a hose. I spray on the cleaner and squeeze it out, then rinse it out and let it dry for a while (usually untile the next day). Alternatively, I use a cleaner (such as no toil) and follow the directions, but the 15 min drying time isn't enough.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
ill clean mine with degreaser; works good enough for me. if i don't want to wait for it to dry, ill dry it with an air tool (carefully, as not to rip a seam). by the way, how is this riding/training techniques?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
CHR!S said:
by the way, how is this riding/training techniques?
It is a question about critical prep technique. :cool:

Easiest for a beginner is to use the NoToil or similar system and have at least 2 filters so one is always ready to use. We have used the Notoil system for years and just recently switched to a different brand (cannot recall the name right now) with spray oil and spray cleaner, due to difficulty in our new location finding notoil.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I just grab the Dawn dish soap out of the parent's kitchen. It's cheaper than buying degreaser. I oil it with the stuff that comes in quart bottles, you save money per oz of filter oil vs. the aerosols.

Top Bottom