Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Seriously? You couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere?

Let's try the common sense approach. How would you clean it? Would you oil it? With what product? If you can't even take a stab at giving a decent anser maybe you need to look at a different hobby.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Something most folks learn the hard way with NoToil is to wear latex / nitrile gloves and that using a flamible liquid to clean your filter can also cause it to fall apart or ignite.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
If it has not been cleaned and inspected for a while I would toss it and start with a good new one.
Next I would get some NOTOIL oil, cleaner, and rim grease. You can buy it as a kit or separately in larger containers.
Take the new filter and put it in a plastic bag and put some oil on it then by squeezing (do not twist it) work the oil in so you have a nice even coating all the way through.
Now make sure the air cleaner box is clean
Next put on the disposable latex or vinyl gloves on and put the filter on the cage. Next put a small bead of rim grease on the surface that lays on the air boot. install the air filter.
From this point on make sure you check the air filter after every ride and clean when needed (we do ours after every ride especially if it dusty at all. Do NOT wait until the filter is caked with dirt).

To clean the filter put some cleaner in a bucket with clean water and let it soak for an hour at least- I usually give it a squeeze every so often just to loosen the dirt. After it has been soaking squeeze (again do not ring it out by twisting) the water out and start putting it under running water and squeezing any remaining dirt or cleaner out of it. It is obvious when the filter is clean. let it dry completely then inspect the filter for any tears or missing pieces. If it is all good re oil just like when it was new.

I keep the cleaner/water in a 5 gallon bucket and usually get about 10 filters cleaned before it gets so dirty I dump it but be carefull you do not start stirring up the sludge from the bottom into your filters. You will be amazed just how much dirt a well serviced filter catches and saves your engine from eating

FNG

May 2, 2008
Patman said:
Seriously? You couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere?

Let's try the common sense approach. How would you clean it? Would you oil it? With what product? If you can't even take a stab at giving a decent anser maybe you need to look at a different hobby.

After all of the posts on fouled plugs and spooge I ain't at all surprised by this question. Not to mention my run in with some youngens' with more $ than experience.

I was at a track last fall and there were 2 early 20's kids in a F350 Superduty all done up with nice, shiney new bikes in the back. They could ride pretty good but one had a loose chain and had NO IDEA how to tighten it!! Apparently I look like I have a clue so he asked me for some help. I abliged with a short training course and away they went.

Someone had to show all of us how to do it.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
FNG said:
Someone had to show all of us how to do it.

I think we forget this.
Most of what I learned when I was younger was shown or explained to me by somebody, or I read it in a book/magazine. And even then, somebody had to take the time to write it. I think it's a heck of a lot easier to find information in this "[mis]information superhighway" world, but 1)sometimes the information is plain wrong; and 2) nothing ever beats actually watching it done or helping actually do it.

My son in law and I took a friend of his riding couple of years ago and the friend had a perfectly set up '02 YZ250. Perfect except that it had a flat rear tire. Apparently been that way for 4 months and he putted around in fields around his house with a flat tire! So we tried to show him how to change the tube, but ended up just doing it ourselves with little or no interest on owners part. He got the bike because somebody couldn't pay him for a job he did, so they traded him the bike. He said he couldn't believe what a difference air in his rear tire made !! AAAAHHHH !!! This type of person had no interest in maintenance nor learning. Consequently, that once-perfect bike is now sitting in a scrap pile two years later.

And for the record, I still find solvent or kerosene best for removing petroleum-based oil from filters prior to the soap and water wash. I've tried skipping this step and going straight to the Dawn and it takes 10 times longer for me to get a good result. Now if the prior owner used No Toil to oil the filter, different story. The last Honda filter I bought came pre-oiled with No-Toil-like oil and it was a piece of cake to clean with soap and water.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think the point was missed. In this day of instant answers on the Internet (no matter how wrong some may be) people have become lazy. Lazy to the point that even though the tools area available to find an answer it's easier to just ask for the spoon to be placed in your mouth. How to properly clean and oil a foam filter has been covered many times on many sites and there is no specific tricks for a year, brand or model of bike. The procedure is pretty basic and most motivated persons could look at the task and determine the chain of events that need to happen to get to the end result. Sure it's great to have somebody show you how to do it but it seems more likely many would prefer to have somebody DO it for them so they don't get their hands dirty and can blame the other guy if something goes wrong.

The fact of the matter is I was attempting to get the OP to try and think a little. Be a little proactive on their own behalf. To perhaps take a little interest in learning not just having it handed to them. See back when I learned these things I actually had to read a book and figure it out. This turned in to a desire to learn more and to become a person that thinks thru a problem and does their own work with the proper tools (and chemicals). I've aparently passed this on to my son as he is more inclined to spend a little time sorting things out than just asking me to do it for him as he works thru a car restoration.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nope it covers everything that needed covered and wasn't a radio visual kind of thing. Them movin' pictures on the interweb is awesome.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Rub a guy to try and make him think, then offer a video clip? Just saying! All the oems' market their brand of Notoil. Once toiled, stay with it, or else. Salvage a filter by cleaning with gas, kerosene or what not, yep did it a thousand times? It does make the filter glue disappear, a bio hazard, and really flammable! Notoil is none of the fore mentioned. Any filter service, just remove the entire sub frame assembly. Its a ton easier and much safer. Vintage Bob

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Po-folks filter washing kit:

Save three of those 1 gal plastic containers you buy your ice cream in.
One for solvent.
One for soap/water wash and rinse.
One for filter oil.

I recommend Mocha Almond Fudge ice cream.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I have NEVER been accused of bing politically correct nor a touchy feely guy Bob so why start now. Just seemed that adding the video that took 0.132 seconds of Google time sort of proved up my point that it's easier to ask then spend .132 seconds searching. I'm pretty impressed with the video, they did a good job presenting all the facts and proper way to do it.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Po-folks filter washing kit:

Save three of those 1 gal plastic containers you buy your ice cream in.
One for solvent.
One for soap/water wash and rinse.
One for filter oil.

I recommend Mocha Almond Fudge ice cream.
Buy new buckets in the Lowe's paint department, throw dirty filters in washing machine while wife is out shopping (my wife doesn't care, No Toil doesn't harm the machine). Oil in one bucket, leave in second bucket to dry for a day, store in gallon sized ziploc until ready for use. I have several pieces of old PVC in the bottom of the drying bucket so the filter doesn't rest in a pool of oil drippings.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
2strokerfun said:
I think we forget this.
So we tried to show him how to change the tube, but ended up just doing it ourselves with little or no interest on owners part.
These people deserve to pay service department hourly rates when their equipment breaks.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
FruDaddy said:
These people deserve to pay service department hourly rates when their equipment breaks.
85 dollars an hour the last I checked. Pay at the register, and bring me the receipt! Fru, do you put the washer on pantie hose cycle? I used to do that, the 20 bucks is better insurance though. And buy it in the half gallons, its cheaper! Vintage Bob

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Can't find a panty hose cycle, but there is a fabriccare, it could be the same thing. Just throwing out an altered option. If only I kept latex gloves in the house. I need to oil the filters before bed.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I think my way of cleaning my AF is easier than what the vid shows and I always get good results.

First, I use Uni filters and oil. I never have to brush off dirt from the outside of the filter as I never let it get that dirty. Anyways, how I clean...

Supply list:
Uni oil
5g bucket
Dawn dish soap (original)
1g ziplock bags (generic is fine)
latex gloves

1. Spray filter with WD40 and work it through it.
2. Add some Dawn dish soap to 5g bucket and fill bucket half way with the hottest temp water you feel comfortable working in.
3. Rinse filter in water/soap solution.
4. Repeat step #1
5. Rinse filter in bucket again.
6. Press dry the filter and let fully dry overnight.
7. Put dry filter in 1g Ziploc back and add filter oil.
8. Close bag while squeezing it a bit to remove some, but not all, of the air from it.
9. Work oil into the filter through the bag.
10. Not enough oil? Open bag, add more, repeat steps #8 and #9 until filter is covered properly.
11. Remove filter from bag and install on bike!

As for clean up, I pour out the water from the bucket, wipe it out, and then put all my air filter cleaning materials (including reusable Ziploc bag) inside. Throw away used latex gloves.

Now, let me here how my way doesn't work, will allow dirt into the engine, and that I'm a moron for doing it this way! :blah:

Top Bottom