Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
Ive grown up cleaning my airfilters in pre mixed petrol and had no problems. Ive just bought a brand new KDX200 and the guy at the shop insisted that i buy some filter oil. I cleand the filter to day, let it dry then oild it, then squeezed all the excess oil out. My hell, what a kr#p job. Im not so keen on getting full of that stuff every time.

Can i continue using my pre mix or is it advisable to use this fancy oil stuff.

How many of you still use pre mix to clean?

Thanks
Dylan

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
I dont know if i agree with that, specialy on Wasabi. She desrves better than that. I want to use oil, just not that messy stuff i was sold. But thanks for the quick response :cool:

Dylan

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I use 'No Toil' as well, and I haven't found a better filter oil yet. It's easy to clean up and is biodegradable, so you can keep the hippies happy!

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Yes you need to use filter oil to oil your filter. Otherwise your simply letting dust go right into that brand new motor of yours.

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
My appologies, I thought "no toil" was a typo, i thought you use "NO OIL" :ohmy: . Ive never heard of this product and am not sure we get it here in SA.
If i clean my filter with premix, the petrol evapourates and leaves the 2 stroke oil behind, to catch the dust.
But is this good enough?

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Mokwepa, you must use a proper "filter oil" it's much stickier, check out e-dirt.co.za, there are a number of threads there (and here) that will tell you how to di it with less fuss!

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Mokwepa said:
My appologies,
If i clean my filter with premix, the petrol evapourates and leaves the 2 stroke oil behind, to catch the dust.
But is this good enough?

It's about as good as not using a filter. :yikes:

I break the rules and clean mine in left over gas. I spray it out from the inside out then squeeze not twist out the water. Then give it a good dose of Dawn soap and wash it out again. Then hang it up and let it dry. Then use an air filter oil on it. Be sure to put a light film of grease on the lip before you put in on.

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
jschiller said:
Mokwepa, you must use a proper "filter oil" it's much stickier, check out e-dirt.co.za, there are a number of threads there (and here) that will tell you how to di it with less fuss!

Cool, a fellow South African. Are you able to quickly explain the oiling process? Maybe im doing it wrong.
Ive been cleaning, letting dry, then submersing the filter in the filter oil then squeezing out the excess, put grease on lip then reinstall. Is there a way to do this but stay clean in the process?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I pour it in the inside and squeeze and massage it to cover the whole thing. If you want clean hands use rubber gloves, not latex, the oil will cause them to break.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Yup, I also wash with Petrol then a soap, let it dry and then place the filter into a zip-lock back with a bit of filter oil, squeeze the oil into the foam until well coated (submersing the whole filter is way too much and it will always drip), use gloves or smaller plastic bags to cover your hands until you get the co-ords, lastly add grease to the lip and fit!

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
jschiller said:
Yup, I also wash with Petrol then a soap, let it dry and then place the filter into a zip-lock back with a bit of filter oil, squeeze the oil into the foam until well coated (submersing the whole filter is way too much and it will always drip), use gloves or smaller plastic bags to cover your hands until you get the co-ords, lastly add grease to the lip and fit!

That sounds better. How much oil do you put into the zip-lock bag? I presume that you seel the bag and massage the oil into the filter, is this right?

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
I found a way that works for me. A PAINTBRUSH, wash then dry then paint oil on the inside , then outside. Gets the perfect amount of oil on and doesnt waste, and my hands stay clean. :nod:

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Mokwepa said:
Cool, a fellow South African. Are you able to quickly explain the oiling process? Maybe im doing it wrong.
Ive been cleaning, letting dry, then submersing the filter in the filter oil then squeezing out the excess, put grease on lip then reinstall. Is there a way to do this but stay clean in the process?
I found that teaching the kids to do it, really helps me avoid the mess. Persuading them to keep their rooms clean, I found to be a much more daunting task.

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
ridejunky said:
I found that teaching the kids to do it, really helps me avoid the mess. Persuading them to keep their rooms clean, I found to be a much more daunting task.

I dont have kids yet, maybe i could teach the wife..........any sugestion how?

Dylan

japiel

May 29, 2007
Buy a spare filter, use a big zip lock bag pour in some oil, zip it, make sure you get oil all around, leave like that until the next time you need a clean, oiled filter. I find you use less oil because the added something to the oil evaperates alot slower giving you more time to get the oil even on the filter

Top Bottom