dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I clean in air filter solvent, wring it out, and then let it air dry before applying filter oil. Any reason to use soap and water after solvent?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I use mineral spirits to clean the filter, then wash it out in hot soapy water & rinse. Seems like the water evaporates out of the filter faster, plus I don't have to worry about any residual mineral spirits breaking down the fresh filter oil.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
No-Toil is a great product. The cleaner, oil and rim grease are biodegradable so you can clean your filter in the kitchen sink.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I use the filter solvent and then use the garden hose with light pressure and spray from the inside out to get the remainder of the dirt and solvent out. Then wring the water out, dry, and oil.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
It's also nice to have two filters and rotate them. That way there is plenty of time for the filter to dry between cleanings. I just keep the spare in a zip-lock bag ready to go.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No-Toil is a great product. The cleaner, oil and rim grease are biodegradable so you can clean your filter in the kitchen sink.

I think I read that somewhere recently!

In direct response to the question, it would be most effective to have zero solvent in the filter before re-oiling. Solvent being a more refined product than the oil it is supposed to remove, there's a better chance of soap&water getting IT out.

But, NoToil is the ONLY way to go.

I read that somewheres, too...........

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I bought my bike in March and cleaned the air filter before I found this great site.

I just used warm soapy water, it worked well but the glue at the seams all came apart. But after I blew it out with compressed air and let it air dry, the seams became tacky again.
I reoiled it with 10w 30 and it is still holding up. I was gonna clean and reoil it yesturday but it is still is very moist with oil and it looked pretty good.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Did you read beefking's post about his just rebuilt kdx? He found some cracks in the carb boots. Strapped some duct tape on 'em....but instead of limping back 'home', they kept ripping along on their ride.

Blew it up.

If you are using an air filter that the seams came apart on when you cleaned it, yur molly hatchet, buddy!

re: 'moist with oil'

That's not a good thing. Filter oil is different from motor oil in that it does not stay 'moist'. The carrier dries to leave the filter tacky. Something that stays 'moist' will migrate to the bottom of the filter. It won't do the job for which it was intended...craptrapping.

Although the offer is 'officially' over, I'll bet'cha you can still find a dealer that will GIVE you a filter when you buy a notoil 'kit' (consisting of cleaner, oil and rim grease).

I recall seeing notoil at 'all city atv/cycle' I think it's called...out on rr hiway around the new hamilton house.

You need a new filter!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Wibby;
I am with canyncrvr. You need a new filter. You can get a quality filter for $20-$25 bucks. Its not worth the chance. The stock filters are not that durable. They should never come apart to any degree when cleaning. Get ya a new filter and that will be a great time to pick up a No-Toil kit too.
Lew

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
:worship:

Ok, Ok, Ok.... I finally caved in today a bought a No-Toil filter and all the fixin's! :thumb:

I went to clean my filter today, the seams were still holding together, but when I rinsed it with water the glue came all apart again. Kinda weird gas did not bother the glue but water sure did. :thumb:

:worship:

Man, that's some sticky goop! Don't really seem like it until you go and try to wipe it off on a rag!

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I dunno....

I still think I can get some more use out of this filter, it's not in that bad of shape

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 127

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Wow wibby, I think you got all the good out of that one! I use kerosene( as little as possible after I don't have a good place to get rid of it) and then rinse with soap and water. I get a lot of extra dirt out with the second washing and then a third quick dip in clean water. I have always feared that leaving the kerosene on it might not allow the filter oil to uniformly saturate the foam. I make sure it is dry before I oil it. I used to use No-toil and loved the ease of use but bought some White Brothers filters and they specifically had a sticker on the package saying not to use No-toil. Grrrrrr. I also rotate a couple of filters. Seems like as long as I am going through the mess of cleaning/oiling. Might as well do a couple at a time. Also having an extra clean one makes me less likely to be lazy and go for an extra ride on a dirty filter.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No need to worry about specks-o-crap getting stuck in the adhesive!

You would honestly stick this back together and run it?

You're livin' on the edge, wibby!
;)

re: ..not to use notoil

That's gotta be marketing for the sake of selling something (they make). Notoil is a vegetable based oil...and what kind of filter won't hold up to water for crin' out loud?

Call notoil and ask 'em about it. They're good folks. Bet they've tried their stuff on those filters and it works just fine.

What with liability being what it is these days, though...they might not say that!

Last edited:

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Funny thing about No-Toil & White Bros. I recently ordered a gallon each of No-Toil Filter Oil and cleaner from MX South. Inside the box was a White Bros. catalog. Kinda funny if they don'y play nice together.

Now I hope that my two buddies and I can ride enough to go through all that filter oil between us.

On a side note, why do they package the oil in an aerosol can? It seems like such a waste and that's all the local shop carries, so I mail ordered instead.

Bill

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
They have both aerosol and 'plain' oils (you know that). I prefer the aerosol a whole lot.

If you're of the 'soak and squeeze out the excess' school..then aerosol is not for you.

No need to 'soak and squeeze'...but that's another matter.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I soaked and squeezed, and soaked and squeezed some more and then I noticed my cheap latex gloves had ripped and my hands started getting sticky so I wiped 'em on my shirt but then my shirt was all sticky so I grabbed a shop rag and soon it was all sticky...

They have an aerosol?? hmmmmm....... :think:

Top Bottom