Air filter cover and snorkel removal

jeba6208

Sep 8, 2005
Are most of you removing the snorkel and modifying or removing the airbox cover on your KDX to get more air flow.
If so are you having to replace jets or adjust the carb for the increase?
thanks Greg

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I ended up with just removing the snorkel. I couldn't get my jetting right (to get rid of a hesitation) without the air box lid on.

vitolayne

Oct 30, 2003
Air box cover

I have had five KDX's over the years and every one has been modified to include the air box cover removed, except this one. I decided to leave it stock (cover, pipe, etc.) and it works great with the cover on. It isn't the fastest bike out there, with or without the cover, but then again, it never was. It does do fine for me and it always makes every hill, every difficult rock section, and always gets me to the finish (as all of my KDX's have). As an added feature, the air filter stays cleaner and water crossings are less of a problem. That design as been nearly perfect since day one and continues to be the best all around trail bike ever built, in my opinion. I will have to admit that I did put an automatic clutch in it, but I am getting old and need a little edge once in a while!! ;) Vito

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Removing the cover never made a bit of difference with my scoot, Jetting and power all the same. The only thing it did for sure was make it a lot louder!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Rhodester said:
I ended up with just removing the snorkel. I couldn't get my jetting right (to get rid of a hesitation) without the air box lid on.

Same here, low end seems to pull a little better with cover on, mid-range might be a tiny bit snappier with cover off. I also notice more volume to me with the cover off. I leave mine on, snorkle removed.

XRIowa

Dec 8, 2004
I pulled my cover off.. But I have put quite a few mods onto my KDX 220.
Gnarly woods pipe, powercore silencer, rad valve.. Not really much else to do the the bike I guess. After I pulled the cover I had to go even leaner on my jetting but it is spot on now and I notice a differance all thru the powerband.. I am guessing if your bike is pretty much stock pulling the lid or snorckel is not going to do much for you.. I have set my bike to pull more air and get rid of it faster. Nest stop is FRP racing for carb and head modification...
ANyone have a 200 carb they wanna unload??? :blah:

Top Bottom