Air Filter grease for sealing to filter box

jimyzttrxr

Sep 28, 2003
What type of grease do you use to seal your air filters to your air filter box? I have read in my Yamaha ttr-125 manual it said to use a lithium soap based grease. So far I have only found a lithium red grease from the automotive store that I have I have been using, but it does not say it is soap based. Is this okay to use?
I have a friend that uses vasoline. Were can you purchase a lithium soap based grease? Thanks for any info.
Jim

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
jimy,
Soap is a term used for the paste that is whipped with oil to make grease.
Most all general purpose greases you see will be a lithium base, or lithium soap base. The word soap is only a term used for the compound used to make the grease, it isn't really a "soap" per se.

Any good grease will work. I would hesitate to use any calcium based grease as it can harden up like concrete after awhile. (once the oil leaves the soap)

If you do the No-Toil thing, you want to use their grease, as it is an alcohol base and their cleaner will clean it. No-toil will NOT take out regular petroleum grease of any soap base.

Grease 101...... Grease is an oil and soap mixture that is whipped to increase viscocity. The soap base can be of varying products. (lithium, calcium, etc...)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If you have a good seal between the filter and the air box, you don't need any grease at all. Put the basket in the air box without a filter and check to see if there is more than an 1/8" gap between the basket and box. If so either fix it or use grease.

Everybody has an opinion on this but the fact is the lip that wraps around the basket is soaked in filter oil and clamped in place. So if you are worried about dirt getting past that then you need to be worried about the rest of the filter too.

And Jay, as always, a good grease lesson :)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If you have a good seal between the filter and the air box, you don't need any grease at all.

That is my philosophy, besides the filter oil comment, you also are pinching the filter closing the cells of the foam so air and dirt doesnt pass thru that area any way.

After I install the air filter I slightly tug on the base of the filter all the way around it. You will know if it is seated correctly that way or if other measures are recquired

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom