jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I put my first real ride on the CR today and I figured it'd be a good time to clean out that air filter and recharge it. I have a K&N recharging kit with the cleaner and oil so I figure I can use that. One thing I didn't know though was about the grease to create the seal between the filter and the intake area. It says to use Honda White Lithium in the manual but I don't have any now. I do have some of this valvoline lithium grease. It's darkish black-brown but I figured for this application that any grease would be alright just because all it's doing is sealing a gap to keep the dirt out. PLease help ASAP.

imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
Any grease should work just fine. There are a LOT of people that do not even grease their filters. The idea is for the grease to take up any "gaps" that may be hiding between your filter and intake. I personally use the pro-seal ($12.00) which eliminates the need to use grease and will provide an excellent seal between your filter. Hope this helps....

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
That Pro-Seal thing you're talking about. I'm assuming it's some type of rubbery gasket type thing that seals the gap air-tight. Can I order it out of Dennis Kirk or Rocky Mountain?

imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
It's actually made of roughly a 1/4 inch thick neoprene. The product is made by PC RACING (not pro-circuit) and should be available through almost anyone at this point. Just a note.... The adhesive that was applied to mine was weaker than a postage stamp!!! I ended up using weather strip adhesive and have had no problems . While you are at it you might consider checking the seal between the airbox and the air tube (between the carb). Sometimes the manufacturer "skimps" on the sealer or the sealer dries out and then can allow dirt to slip in through that area. The sealant on my '99 just crumbled out when I seperated it .

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Greasing

Personally I grease mine, I like the better safe than sorry line...HOWEVER I did see numerous posts elsewhere that it isnt required, some people felt that if a gob of grease got sucked into the carb it could impede performance but my though is I would rather have my engine suck in a bit of grease than dirt!! IMO :silly:

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
It always makes me feel good when I pull the filter off an that I see it was stuck on with grease and had a tight seal.

As you can remember, there was new Honda's and Yamaha's that had sealing problems with the air filter in their airbox. Can you imagine how much dirt was sucked into the engine with a faulty seal of the air filter.

Lets just wait till we see post from these guys that doesn't use the above seal or grease on when their engines lock up because dirt got through the air filter.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Lets just wait till we see post from these guys that doesn't use the above seal or grease on when their engines lock up because dirt got through the air filter.
Not that I recommend it, but...
In my KDX, I never ran any oil in my filter or grease on the lip, and I never had any mechanical problems (KDX's are indestructible, or something). The bike was purchased new by my brother in 96 or 97, and has seen many, many miles/hours. There was some amount of dust that got through the filter, as evidenced by buildup in the carb and airboot. However, NOTHING ever broke; the engine needed a top end rebuild pretty badly, but it still ran very good.

Now that I have everything rebuilt though, I'm going to go to further measures to protect it, so now I'm oiling the filter. I was thinking that maybe you could lay a layer of silicone on the airbox to act like the Pro-Seal.

Regards,
Lutz

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
i use maxima waterproof grease, its blue, doesnt wash out and doesnt break down, you can pickit up at yur local dealer that carrys it for 5-6 dollors, i use it on everything,linkage,airfilter lip,axles,wheele bearings,brake pins etc....

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Really that Maxima stuff can be used for all that. I might look into that. I'm probably going to get prepared to get some stuff for greasing linkage and all that so I might look into that instead of 2 or 3 different lubes.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
If you're going to us grease, and that's a personal choice, I would recommend white lithium so yo can track any breaches ie particle trials. Just my 02.

Joe

Top Bottom