Air Filter Oil

redrider50

Dec 22, 2002
This is probably the wrong forum but I couldn't figure out which one to put it in. Air filter oil is a pain to get off your hands. I use gloves, but sometimes I somehow manage to get some on my hands. Any home remedies to get the stuff off? Lots of soap and water? Any help would be appreciated!

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
A very good soap is stuff called Lava, or something like it. You'll find it in your automotive section. Its a soap that has pumice, a grit, in it which cleans hands very well.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I found the best bet is to not get it on your hands in the first place :) I either use gloves or the ziploc bag method for oiling my filters. If by chance I do need to get some off my hands I use some mineral spirits or simple green.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Use a ziploc bag, wear gloves, and my personal secret... No-Toil. So easy to clean it's silly. :)

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Hand cleaner always gets greasy junk off. Theres the real strong kinds or the Gojo orange pumice stuff that you can buy almost anywhere. I've used both and they both clean filter oil off no problem. Dish detergent works as well.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The Gojo works well, I can vouch for that. The Orange cleaner with Pumice works good for really caked on stuff.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Goop, gets grease stains out of clothes as well.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
If you use No-Toil, which I use and love, you can use rubbing alcohol to clean your hands. It works great and you will find out INSTANTLY if you have any cuts! OUCH!

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
WD40 works too...

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
When I know I'm going to get pretty greasey I use a barrier craem on my hands. It prevents the grease and dirt from getting into the pores on your skin. Hand lotion will work too but doesn't last as long. Don't ask me any names because I get it in bulk from work. I think AVON has something called a silicone golve that works as a barrier cream.

I wouldn't use any petroleum based products (gas, kerosene, etc) on your hands. Ever heard of cancer? :ugg:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
just use some spray on air filter cleaner.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Shampoo.
really. Good for removing almost any kind of grease or oil.
My dad used it all the time.
Hey it's supposed to remove oil from your hair....... :confused:

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
Originally posted by darringer
If you use No-Toil, which I use and love, you can use rubbing alcohol to clean your hands. It works great and you will find out INSTANTLY if you have any cuts! OUCH!

Me too! You sure can smell the alcohol flashing off the filter just after you oil it. Dish soap definately doesn not work on No Toil.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Use the no-toil cleaner to clean the no-toil oil...it works instantly.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…