Air Filter

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
I just bought a Brand New air Twin Air filter and wanted to know if i should wash it before i put it in? Or should i not worry about washing it and just oil it.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
rinse it .............oil it .............ride :aj:

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I like the aerosol spray-on stuff for convenience. I don't think it matters too much . You could probably use motor oil as long as you blot out the excess. You don't want it to drip. Most of the special filter lubes are just really sticky.

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
I use the Uni brand oil, it's real sticky stuff. Put the filter in a ziploc bag, pour in oil, work it around, blot out excess with paper towels.

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
I use PJ-1. Its red in color and sprays on. Very tacky. We spray outside and inside of filter. Inside of a newer filter still looks brand new as the dirt never gets past the outside of the filter. I have also read to let them dry (aerosal spray oil) for an hour so your not sucking the oil off of the filter into your enigne.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
I use the no-toil system with their filters and have had very good luck with them... I always smear a little clear grease blob just at the opening of the air duct on the other side of the filter and then when I change the filter I scoop that up and smear it on a clear plastic film.. Makes it easy to see if dust or worse is getting by since sometimes just looking at the clean inside of a used filter doesn't always tell you the whole story.

I'm pretty convinced that the petro based air filter oils work better than no-toil if you're going to leave your filter in for a 3 or 4 rides, but since I change mine after every ride the water soluble no-toil system works great since I don't have to deal with caustic solvents during cleaning, nitrile gloves, fumes, etc... I've never found any traces in my clear grease test of stuff that got thru the filter...

Just make certain you use the rim grease too...

Have a good one!

Feanor

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…