Mr.Sloth85

Mar 19, 2007
Sorry I posted in the wrong section. I was reading about some stuff to degrease it or get the oil out. But when the oil is removed can dishwasher soap be used? Also what kind of oil do I use to treat the air filter after it is all clean?

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
You can wash it that way if you please, I would use FFT to treat the oil filter with since it is made for off road vehicles. You can use regular motor oil if you HAVE to though...

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Do not use motor oil to oil your filter. Use any brand you like, but one specifically for air filters.

Here is how I clean mine;

You should clean your filter every other ride, more if its dusty. Don't forget to change the tranny oil every other ride too.

NOTOIL is a vegitable based oil that dosn't require solvents. http://www.notoil.com/

I use TWINAIR's filter and oil, here's how I clean mine.

Clean the filter in your choice of solvent to remove the old oil and dirt it trapped. I use gasoline. I prefer using a small bucket with enough solvent to submerge the filter. Knead the filter a few times, sqeeze out the excess, dump the dirty stuff. (it's great for killing weeds growing in the driveway cracks) Repeat 3-4 times or until the solvent remains clear, and you can't feel any dirt in the bottom of the bucket.

Wash the filter in warm soapy water. I use dishwashing liquid. (dawn, joy ect...) Use the same bucket and method as with the solvent, just use warm soapy water. Repeat 3-4 times, sqeezing the filter and dumping the dirty water each time.

Rinse in warm water. Same method. Dump the dirty water each time. Repeat until the soap bubbles are gone. Their shouldn't be any dirt particles in the bottom of the bucket.

If the dirt is really imbedded in the filter I use the garden hose or the kitchen sink sprayer to remove it. Spraying from the inside of the filter, the water pressure pushes the dirt out the way it came in. I hold the nossle right up against the filter. Gentle pinching and kneading will get it all out.

Once the filter is clean, I spin dry (no water) it in the washing machine. Set the filter so the centrifigle force pulls from the inside out. (have the side that faces your carb, face the center of the washing machine) If the filter won't sit still, I prop it with a clean shop towel. It should be dry in a few hours after that.

Before oiling, I turn the filter inside out to see if I missed any dirt. "Plucking it" with your finger almost always removes it.

Don some latex gloves (found at home depot in the paint section). Place the filter in a clean bucket, pour the filter oil all over it. I use an 8X8 inch plastic bucket with a lid. Saturate it with your favorite oil, sqeeze out as much of the excess as you can and install. I don't grease the rim. You will have alot of oil left in the bucket. It's clean, so pour it back into the filter oil can to use next time. I use Twin Air filter oil.

This method only takes about 15 minutes, minus drying time of course. I clean my filter about once a week. I've used this method for a year and a half with no adverse effects to the Twin Air filter.

Hope this helps, Steve.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
True filter oil has a sticky feel to it that will catch and hold dust particals- motor oil will not catch all dust and also will drip off the filter.
I am alot lazier then Steve and prefer to do it this way
start with a clean (I always have 3 or 4) filter and put some NoToil on it. the filter then goes in a gallon ziplock bag and I work the oil in with a compression squeeze (do not twist as that will tear the seams eventually) I slowly add more oil until the filter is coated evenly. Then I take the filter I am going to use and put it on the bike and seal the others in ziplock bags until needed.

Cleaning I save them until the last one is on the bike and take all the dirty ones put them in a bucket of warm water with NoToil cleaner mixed in it and let them soak for a couple hours- squeezing them a couple times. Take them out and run clean water through them until it runs clear. Then I hang them up in the sun until dry and start all over

Mr.Sloth85

Mar 19, 2007
Nice post Old Guy. You answered my question and then some. Maybe I should buy some extras. Any tips on changing the tranny fluid, or should I just refer to the manual.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Another little trick with air filters is to buy a box of un powderred latex or vinyl gloves to wear when oiling or changing filters. Once the filter is in pul them off and toss them. The filter oil will get all over your hands and then the seat and tools and doorknobs and your wife/girlfriend if you do it barehanded.
Make sure the bike is warm so the fluid flows easier. I am not sure if the KXF has separate tranny and motor oils (my YZFs do not). Change oils regularily and often especially if you ride hard and the filter at least every other oil change.

Mr.Sloth85

Mar 19, 2007
Now that you say that, I think that they are not seperate. So just changing the oil is basiclly changing the tranny oil all in one?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I always have used a Maxima spray can for the filter oil. The track is made out of sand and the filter does get very dirty and never do I get any sand in the air boot.

Top Bottom