cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
I just finished bleeding the brakes on my EXC. I used Bel Ray Dot 4. The dealer said this fluid exceeds the specs for the recommended 5.1 silicone. After bleeding I noticed something kind of strange. If I pull the front brake lever very slightly about 1/3 of the way and hold it for about 10 seconds, i then can pull the lever about 2/3 of the way, hold it again, and then the lever will pull completely without having any brakes. If I pull the brake lever normally I have brakes. Could I still have air in the line? I bled the line the old fashion way and did not try reverse bleeding. What do you think? The brake fluid seemed to help the modulation alot, before the brakes were very grabby.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
The DOT 5.1 fluid is not a silicone base fluid. Because 5.0 is silicone people often get confused on this.

I also use the DOT 4 and have no problems, as do many others so that should be ok.

It appears to me that you have some air remaining in the line. The best thing to do is to get a length of clear hose that will fit on the brake bleeder valve. Make a small loop out of it and attach it to the bleeder. Once fluid fills the loop it is much harder for air to reenter the system and you can see if any air is coming out of the lines as you bleed them.

Hope this helps.

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
I thought I had gotten all of the air out of the line, but it appears not. I simply used clear fuel line and ran that into a empty milk jug. When I started bleeding I could see alot of air bubbles every time I broke the nipple. I continued this for 15-20 times until all air bubbles were gone, or so I thought. So, putting a loop in the fuel line works?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Well, it works for me.:) It keeps the air from backing into the brake line.

I worked for a long time to get the air out of the front brake on my KTM. Just try it some more and see if that helps.

Top Bottom