MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
I was just checking to make sure I'm right before I'm doing anything...

I have an RM 125 and I noticed the back tire is flat so I did the soapy water test while pumping it up, and it is bubbling from all the spokes (where they connect with the rim). I think this means the tube is shot, if I'm wrong, what is it?

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
So what would repair entail if it was that? Just getting a new tube, correct?

And also, I don't really think it is the nipples connecting the spokes because they were fine when the tire was pumped up (before it started to leak).

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
A new tube and maybe some rim tape. Have you got tire irons? If this is your first tire change you had better get 2 tubes and some patches. I guarantee you're going to pop your first tube several times, get so frustrated that you keep popping it, until it has so many holes on it that there is no way you can patch it anymore. Then, you'll have to use the 2nd tube. You may pop it a few times as well. This is all part of the process of learning how to change a tire. It will all be worthwhile in the future when you can changing a tire becomes, dare I say, easy. Use lots of soapy water inside and outside of the bead during installation to make things go more smoothly.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
Well my uncle actually owns a race team, so I'd probably have them installing the tube, but about the rim tape: what is it's purpose?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
to keep the spokes from rubbing through the tube. lots of folks use a couple layers of duct tape, but you can get the rubber strips real cheap.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I use duct tape on my wheels.. The rubber rim strips can move and leave the spoke nipples exposed. A couple layers of good thick duct tape is way better.

But, you must clean and dry the wheel very well before putting the tape on.

Also, don't use soapy water when putting a tire on. Use Windex. It gives you all the lube you need to get the tire on, and drys nicely.. without all the soapy mess...

When you put the tube in the tire, it's also a good idea to use some sort of talc powder in the tire. I just use a cheap baby powder.. Works really well.

If you can stand it, go check out the video tutorial on Transworld MX website on changing tires. It has all the info you need to make changing tires fairly easy.

Top Bottom