Air Screw

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
I bought a KDX220 a couple of months ago and it has always seemed to stutter and miss at low revs, which made riding it a pain. Also seemed to take a long time to clear itself when cold, as though it was running rich.

Was going to strip the carb to check the main and pilot jet sizes, but decided to check the air screw first and it was 1 turn out (should be 1.5), so gave it another half a turn. What a difference, suddenly it runs clean, revs easily and feels crisp and lively!

From thinking I might have to sell it and go back to a 4-stroke, it is now a joy to ride, I couldn't believe what a difference half a turn on the air screw can make, no other bike I have owned has been that sensitive to air screw adjustment.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
One of the beautiful things about these bikes is that once you get them set they run like a champ. I rejeted mine as the previous owner hadn't when he put on a new pipe and cut the airbox top, now it runs great. No hesitation, just twist and go. Congrats on the fix and thanks for sharing!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…