Air Striker Carb

Houndog

Subscriber
Originally posted by Zerotact
I too have thought about the rb carb mod, but have found some pwk airstriker carbs in 36, and 38mm for the price of the rb carb mod. But I think $500 in parts will make a lot off difrenece, with a bigger carb, and new pipe. But due to shattered stock pistons, I'd avoid running a pipe with the stock piston.
http://www.pro-flo.com/proflo_keihin_flat_slide_carbs.htm#PWK AIR STRIKERS
This brings up a good point Zerotact, I see the enduro version of the 200 KTM and Gas Gas run a 38mm carb. (KTM EXC200 PWK 38AG, Gas Gas EC 200DE PWK 38).

Does this suggest that the Air Striker 38mm might be a good choice for a KDX 200, or would the RB mod be more beneficial than a new 35mm Air Striker? Has anyone tried a 38mm carb on a KDX 200 or 220?

Zerotact

Subscriber
but you can also get a 35mm air stiker carb for about the same price as the carb mod... I think a 38mm carb is a bit large, but would definately help the kdx 220 get some upper end, which it lacks in stock form.

It's basically the fact that you can buy a whole new carb for the cost of the carb mod...

Houndog

Subscriber
The 38mm would take some modification/innovation to make it fit too. Back to the 35mm AS, is it a worthwhile replacement for a worn 35mm PWK? Has anyone tried a 35mm AS without the RB mod?

Why not get the AS carb with the RB mod?

No, I haven't used an airstryker without the modification, but there isn't anything in the 4-vent carb that will accomplish what the modification does.....seems an apples and oranges thing to me.

So...get 'em both!

Houndog

Subscriber
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Why not get the AS carb with the RB mod? 
Because I don't have your money :whiner:

If getting both doubles the cost, then I might have to look at the EG 225 with porting instead. This is how it's supposed to work, figure you are going to do an inexpensive mod and end up spending $800 OR find out that the old KDX is just fine and treat it to a tank of fresh fuel... I bet my wife votes for the new fuel :laugh:

Zerotact

Subscriber
I don't know all the details, but I would think that the As carb is slightly diffrent in design than the standard pwk, and performing the rb mod on an AS carb, may defeat the purpose of ponying up the extra dough for the rb mod. The 38 mm cab is larger, and the throats are 4mm bigger in diameter... So the 38mm might not work too well. But the 35mm AS carb seems like a good option for me and my 220 since I have a 33mm carb stock...

Go with the 35mm Air Striker and give us your feeback. I'd like to hear how it perform on a 220.

Thanks,

Patrick

I don't know what the 35mm AS carb goes for by itself. Though, $320 w/shipping for a RB modifeid AS carb was the best money I put into my bike(performance wise). I love it on my 220! I have the woods pipe on with it and I can now go toe to toe with my buddies 2003 cr 125 on the top end. Of course I always had more bottom end.

Jim Crenca

Lifetime Sponsor
I just talked to Sudco about Air Styker carbs the other day; their thought was that it did have better response than a stock PWK, and that if you needed bigger than 35 mm, you should have it bored as no easy way to fit 38mm to airboots or between frame members on some years.

BRush

Lifetime Sponsor
Comparing the air striker carb and the RB mod is comparing apples to oranges. A 38mm carb, air striker or otherwise on a KDX would will just trade off low end performance for top end. Overly large carbs have a negative effect on low end performance. It's a trade-off. That's why trials bikes have smaller carbs than motocrossers and why the 220 KDX has a 33mm carb while the 200 has a 35mm. The RB mod attempts to mitigate that trade-off. It does this (primarily) by installing a divider plate which allows the modified PWK to act as sort of the carburation equivalent of a bifocal lens. At low throttle openings, the area of the carb bore is effectively reduced. This keeps the fuel charge moving faster and improves low end response. When you whack the throttle full open, the whole area is again available to allow the motor to rev out. When jetted properly, it works very well.

I have been running a 35 air stryker for my 01 220 for a year now. This is a great investment for the 220. With a rev pipe, reeds, air box mod, and the air stryker, my 220 is perfect for enduros now. On the straight aways, the big four strokes do pull away from me a little, but when it gets tight, this 220 works like a champ. The needle and slide that comes with the 35 carb from SUDCO is way too rich. I took the needle and slide from my 33 carb put it in the 35 carb, started with the modified KDX 200 jetting specs and kept making minor changes till I got it perfect. The rb mod scared me with all the jetting issues they go through. Other than minor adjustments during the year, I have not had any troubles with the air stryker.

BRush

Lifetime Sponsor
Originally posted by Eddiet
The rb mod scared me with all the jetting issues they go through.
The jetting issues with the RB are way overblown. One you dial it in - and there is plenty of info on this board to help you do that - you won't need to touch it again unless you enjoy tinkering.

'..and performing the rb mod on an AS carb, may defeat the purpose of ponying up the extra dough for the rb mod.'

I must admit I don't understand what this says......:think:..but if it says the combination of the two (airstryker and the RB mod) is some sort of bad thing, well, that would be way wrong.

'..with all the jetting issues they go through.'

I'm batting 1.000 so far, cuz I don't understand this, either. I didn't even know I had 'jetting issues'!! :(

Indeed, there was a learning curve to the RB carb. But the work is all done, now!

How many kdx'ers you think were running a dek/cek needle before ron came along? From the input of this board, I'd say not very many (or none).

Zerotact

Subscriber
Ok, i rthink we can take this convo to a close, as Cd has chimed in on another forum, stating that the kdx carb is an airstriker carb essentially.