cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I hear all this talk about "Airbox Modification". What about just chucking the thing all together? I know about removing the snorkel tube, and about punching about 4 quarter size holes in the remainder of the cover, but why not just ditch the cover entirely? There is the matter of that little brain box thing, but I just taped it up really well to the frame. Besides greater possibility of getting water or something down in the air filter if you're riding through creeks, etc, what's the problem with using no cover? My buddy ran his RMX like that and said he never had any issues at all.

------------------

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
I think a lot of people do take it off all together. I drilled holes in mine and removed the snorkel. Just thought it was a better idea to me. I wonder if your cdi will get more vibration from being on the frame without the give of the air box cover.
Don't know, just thinkin.
But yes, taking it off is common.
Steve

------------------
01KDX200

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
I did the snorkle/hole route, but I have heard removing the cover causes flat tires, paint peeling, and loose grips. :D

Actually, I was told that it makes for a pretty loud intake honk.

I liked where the CDI box is mounted, and didn't want to change it. I really think that drilling the holes and removing the snorkle was quicker.

No big deal, either way.

------------------
Nobody loves a Charlie in the box...

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Take off the air box lid and ride through a deep (over your pegs up to the air box) puddle as fast as you can. This test is best done when is is late and starting to rain or snow and you are 20 miles down hill from your truck.

The lid helps keep some of the stuff that always finds its way into the wrong place at the wrong time out of there.

Last november we towed a guy out who had done just what you suggested.He was a wetter but wiser man.

------------------

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Why would you tow, rather than remove the plug and get the water out of the bike?? Unless you towwed him, just out of the water.

Not that hard to get the water out... (as long as you're on dry ground) :D

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If the water is deep enough to go over the top of the airbox, that swiss-cheesed lid isn't going to keep it out. Mine has been laying on the shelf in my garage for several years, and I have never flooded my bike, I just have sense enough to not go in water that deep.

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Drill it with a 5/8" spade bit, pull the snorkel, then tape around the area really well. Pay careful attention up by the tank. One thing you are trying to keep out is wash from the front wheel that can come up under the tank, hit the seat pan, and POUR into the airbox. I've also had water come over the front and land in my lap. The taping and keeping the lid help out a bunch with this too.

Contrary to statements made here otherwise, you can drown your bike out in relatively shallow water if you hit it at the right speed.

------------------
TexKDX

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Tex knows what he's talking about. Put the holes in the raised portion of the lid. And wheel wash is the culprit.

------------------

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
I tossed the lid and remounted my CDI unit.I have never had a problem with vibration.I rivit a "Mud Flap" to the front of the air box (KX style)to stop any splash from the front wheel. The lid has no holes in it so when I sell a bike I can put everything back to stock>

------------------

Top Bottom