aircooled kdx rebuild questions

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Hi - I just bought a KDX200 C2 (87) which I am going to renovate for a friend. It was pretty rough - like silver paint sprayed over thick sand on the shock. A front m/guard where the rear one should have been. Every nut and bolt different (and rusted). The rear shock compresses then stays there. The list of crimes goes on. Anyway it's now in bits awaiting full sandblast, nickel plating, powder coating and rebuild. Can't wait. I'm trying to do everything on a small budget. I wondered if anyone had any pointers. Any owner's rebuilt bottom ends on the aircooled KDX's? Is it straight forward or a major? Does anyone have a good condition rear m/guard and light 86-88 and a very good condition front pipe (stock or performance) that they want to sell? I'm also trying to track down a manual. Would an 84/85 KX125 shock fit? I've also seen rear disc conversions - would the caliper off an 85 KX250 fit onto the swingarm lug? Thanks for any help.

drriviera

Mar 13, 2003
hey there arjay,

i've an 84 model kdx200, had it for over 4 months. it was in shocking condition, but i'm almost there.

get a manual! a clymer manual (kdx200 83-88) is a great resource. so too is the original kawasaki owners/service manual. both should be easy finds on ebay.

if you've a digital camera, take many photos of your project. before and after shots help make the restoration process much easier and satisfying.

have a look at my web page... copy n paste link...

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~rcacic/kdx200

good luck and keep us informed.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by drriviera
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~rcacic/kdx200

Wow! Great job! It looked like a parts bike in the first pictures.

-Greg

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
Drriviera, i just wanted to compliment your restoration job on your '84. From reading the captions with the pictures, it sounds like you didn't have to break the bank to do it either. I had a 90 which I recently sold. I was renovating it and had to let her go when I realized I was spending substantially more than I would have on a 10 year newer bike.

I was wondering out of curiosity how long it took you?

drriviera

Mar 13, 2003
Hey all,

Gator, I bought the KDX for $400aus at the end of august. I've had her for a lil over 4 months now. Basically, it has been a weekend project. Now I'm on holidays, it gives me more time to finish her off.

Still more to be done mind you, it hasn't broken the bank. Lil problems have surfaced over time (eg. sourcing a speedo and cables, stripped drain plug thread, dodgy electrics).

I decided not to fully strip the bike, left the engine and uni-trak alone. Maybe over our australian winter I'll give it an overhaul.

On top of the $400 for the bike, I've probably spent around $800-$1,000 sourcing parts new and from wreckers. It has been a learning experience, being my first real bike (my first one being a Kawasaki MT-1 mini trail... burnt orange!). I've gained many mechanical/maintenance skills I probably wouldn't have picked up with, let's say, a late-model $4,000 Suzuki RMX250.

So yeah, can't complain. Set of piston rings is the only requirement right now, front tyre and renthal 'cr-high-bend' bars are next. And that'd be all folks. Enough yapping in the garage/workshop...

Top Bottom