MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Ok guys here's the deal. I want to start racing harescrambles and enduros but I am 'hill billy' stupid when it comes to AMA/District etc stuff. Can I race more than 1 district? If so do I need to become a member in both districts (is that even legal)? What district am I officially in D16/D17? Any other info that I might need? I visited the Magacross D17 page and have the schedule etc - do they post info there if something is cancelled/postponed? Do you know of another site like that for whatever other district would be close enough for me to race in? I am also confused as to what class I should be in. I hear lots of stories of beginner classes being 'loaded with trophy hunters' etc. Over 30 ?

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
TTRGuy - you would be District 18 (Southern IL and MO). I believe the district site is www.district18.org but I always have a problem trying to open it (although others don't).

District 17 also has some hare scrambles not too far from St. Louis (Casey, IL; Mason, IL; Macomb, IL; Mt. Vernon, IL). The District 17 2002 schedule is found on wardy's site www.megacross.com in the D-17 Information tab - but you already found that. :)

Yes, you can race more than one district. And no you don't need a card for every district you race. But if you want district points, then you do need a card. But you could sign up for district 18 only and still race a few district 17 events without a district 17 card.

When you sign up for your AMA card you will get the AMA monthly booklet with all the district races in the back with contact phone numbers and times. You will have to call the tracks before the race to see if the races are still on (and not cancelled because of weather, etc.) Sometimes cancellations are posted on the web but not very often.

Good luck!! :confused:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hmmm, ok well I have had my AMA card for 2 years (for Dirtweek) but I've no idea where the booklet might have gotten off to. Most of our stuff is still packed away in boxes and many of them won't be unpacked for about a year or until/if/when we buy a house. Do I need to 'tell' the AMA what district I want to 'belong' to? If I don't pay dues or whatever for a district then do I have to pay for a 1 day membership for those races or something?

Thanks for your help so far.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
district

stuff is done locally and ama doesn't get into that. you can buy both cards if you want to. You should call and change your address so that you can start gettting the mag again. I have some very good friends living down in that area. not sure how much they ride anymore but I know they live in a burb of st louis.

wardy

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Eddie-
you get the American motorcyclist magazine monthly with your AMA membership. it has the majority of District races listed in it.
youll have to call them since you moved to give them your new address your mag is probablty still going to oklahoma

As far as the classes i think in Enduro and HS the plus 30 class is split basically as A and B... and i dont hear much about anyone cherry picking.
keep in mind since you have never competed you are elgible for the C /beginer class as well of whatever displacement your bike is. .
ex: 250C

you are located in D18 but can run both Districts.
I have competed in D15 D17 both for several years.

Alot of D17 HS and enduros are close to you.

when you join a district you are sent a schedule, erule book and club /promotor contact info with your membership card as well.

Lots Of D17 members on DRN.. in HS down your way..i'm sure several would hook up with you for your first race and help out getting used to the procedure. directions what to expect etc etc.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Eddie let me know if you need help with any of that sign up stuff etc,. we do all that on a weekly basis. In fact we are holding a hare scrambles tommorow at FVOR. Our first one.
We try to post most all the stuff up on our site when we get it, Jay Hall the hare scramble director was here all day today helping set us up for the event looks to be pretty good day

wardy

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks for the info guys. As soon as I can find a weekend clear of work or other riding plans I am hoping to run a harescramble. Gotta get a few minor bike repairs done also, Chadwick this past weekend left me with a few chores :)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by AJ Waggoner
Eddie-

As far as the classes i think in Enduro and HS the plus 30 class is split basically as A and B... and i dont hear much about anyone cherry picking.
keep in mind since you have never competed you are elgible for the C /beginer class as well of whatever displacement your bike is. .
ex: 250C

In D17 HS's there is now a Vet B and a Vet A thanks to Jay Hall. Not much cherrypicking as Jay watches it pretty close. There are a couple fast guys in Vet B but for the most part is is a good class.

In Enduros there is only a Vet A class, no Vet B. I'd suggest 250c in Enduro's. Don't worry too much about cherry picking in 250c Fredette bumps people pretty quickly if they win. I only ran one Enduro in 250c, I won it and got a letter in the mail right away moving me to B!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Offroadr
In Enduros there is only a Vet A class, no Vet B. I'd suggest 250c in Enduro's.
Unless the rules changed this year, last year (and in previous years) there were seperate VetA and VetB classes in D17 Enduros.

There are also no displacement or age categories in C class for D17 Enduros either. It's just one big class.

Of course my information is over a year old, but I can't see any reason for the rules to change.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by WoodsRider

Unless the rules changed this year, last year (and in previous years) there were seperate VetA and VetB classes in D17 Enduros.

Damn I hate it when you are right! :think: Thanks for setting me straight!
Dunno why I thought that! Yup I shoulda raced that class rather than 250B! :confused: I wouldn't of had to worry about Desort cheating!

Anyway you prolly want to start in C.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Desort didn't cheat, he just didn't know how to keep time so he'd blow through resets and ride hot. Remember, we nailed him for being 7 minutes early at the Summer Bummer once. :eek:

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Ah you forget a certain situation regarding changing his scorecard!

I knew about riding hot

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
:think: I don't recall that one, but it wouldn't suprise me. Which enduro was that?

It'd be great if someone could adapt a barcode scanner to replace the fender card.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Don't remember which race Bill, But I was told by someone who was on his minute that he did it at a reset

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by WoodsRider
:think: I don't recall that one, but it wouldn't suprise me. Which enduro was that?

It'd be great if someone could adapt a barcode scanner to replace the fender card.

We (SERA) are working on Bar code scoring for enduros.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
In Enduros there is only a Vet A class, no Vet B

Bill thanks for straightening that "oldloafer" guy out.
I mean I edit /publish and write the rulebook and he thinks
i'm senile enough to forget the classes hehe
( Jay we have had,and paid awards jacklets in, 30B enduro for quite a few years..
in HS it is a new class that Jay Hall got thru fairly recently, i thought you rode it last year at some CIDRA events? :D see? i wasnt born last night and have most of my faculties left even though nearing 40 )
:)

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
yea yea yea, So I am a little brain dead on occasions
I blame it on lack of brain cells due to your Hot Damn! :confused:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom