Alaska Off Road: Who has been there, done that?

John 300 EXC

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
Several friends and I are planning a trip to Alaska, July or August '03. We are experienced off road riders, "A" enduro.
I have been unable to find out if there is significant off road riding in Alaska, or mainly just gravel or paved roads. Colorado mountains have a wealth of trails over passes and in the mountains that are excellent riding. Are there similar trails in Alaska? We are trying to decide on large Dual Sport bikes with high speed capability such as BMW 1150 or 650; KLR 650, or KTM LC4 or LC8. Another option we are considering is trailering KTM RFSs that we all currently own for off road riding.
The Alcan highway is essentially paved and we are wondering if a pure off road bike will be a waste up there if there are limited dirt trails? Is August too late?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Johh - I have never been there, but here is a site that I found. I am thinking about going next year to the Arctic or Baja. Hope this helps.

http://www.arcticmoto.com/

Dualsport Guy

Feb 3, 2000
John

I'd leave the RFS's at home and try some adventure touring on a bike DS bike. I covered most of Alaska, Yukon, and N.W.T. in '93 on my DR650 as part of a 4.5 month/38,000km trip and can tell you that the adventure is unparalleled in this part of North America.

Here is a good website on adventure touring in the Yukon and N.W.T., http://www.motorcycleexplorer.com/.

Brian

KTMer

Aug 5, 2001
I lived up there for a few years and still return to visit family. While the snow-machining is world class, you don't find as much good trail riding in the summer, IMO. Lots of good gravel and logging roads, not much single track or Colorado style climbs, etc. I'd opt for a strong dual sport.

John 300 EXC

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
Thanks for the advise. I have found a good used KLR 650, probably a good choice for the trip.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…