Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
From Racerxill.com

September 27, 2005

AMA PRO RACING PENALIZES RIDERS
- press release -

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (Sept. 27, 2005) – AMA Pro Racing announced today that Mike Alessi and Matt Walker have both been penalized for their on-track actions at the final round of the AMA Motocross Championship, Sunday, Sept. 11 at Glen Helen raceway in San Bernardino.

According to AMA Pro Racing SX/MX Series Manager, Steve Whitelock, for his role in an incident involving Ivan Tedesco, Alessi has been fined $5,000, has been disqualified from the meet, and becomes ineligible for the AMA Pro Racing Rookie of the Year Award. Additionally, Alessi will receive a 12-month probation which includes the 2006 AMA Supercross and AMA Motocross seasons. Alessi’s disqualification drops him from second to third in the overall championship standings.

Matt Walker has been reprimanded and fined $2,500 for his actions which occurred after the incident between Alessi and Tedesco. Additionally, Walker is disqualified from moto two and will receive a 12-month probation which includes the 2006 AMA Supercross and AMA Motocross seasons. Walker’s disqualification results in no change to his overall championship standing of ninth.

Tedesco will not be penalized.

“This entire situation is unfortunate and entirely unacceptable,” commented Whitelock. “Mike Alessi’s actions after he and Ivan Tedesco came together in moto two are clearly outside the boundaries of acceptable sportsmanship and will not be tolerated by AMA Pro Racing. Additionally, Matt Walker’s actions are inexcusable.”

Whitelock said the decision to penalize the riders came after careful review of videotape, still photographs, accounts by AMA Pro Racing officials who witnessed the incident and statements from the riders. The delay in assessing the penalties is due to a couple of factors including the fact that AMA officials were attending the Motocross of Nations in France and the need to communicate with the involved riders each of whom had to be located. Busy post-season schedules by all involved made that process more complicated than usual.

Whitelock cited the following rule violations from the AMA Motocross Rulebook when levying the penalties “Page 38, General Offenses and Penalties, i, Engaging in any unfair practice, misbehavior or action detrimental to the sport of motorcycling in general, whether or not related to a specific competition. q, Riding at any time in such a manner as to endanger the life and limb of other riders, officials or the public, and w, Any other act or actions deemed by a Series Manager or AMA Pro Racing to be detrimental to the sport of motorcycle racing and the AMA.

“Fortunately, we have ample video footage as well as still photo sequences that showed this episode,” said Whitelock. “We examined the entire situation carefully and arrived at our decision.”

Each rider has been informed of his penalties. Under AMA Pro Racing rules each rider has the right to appeal.

About AMA Pro Racing

AMA Pro Racing is the leading sanctioning body for motorcycle sport in the United States. Its properties include the THQ AMA Supercross Series, the AMA Motocross Championship, the AMA Superbike Championship, the AMA Ford Quality Checked Flat Track Championship and the AMA Supermoto Championship. For more information about AMA Pro Racing, visit www.amaproracing.com. Accredited media outlets can also access AMA Pro Racing's online Press Room at www.amaproracing.com/pressroom.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Fair enough!

I bet Mitch Payton said "bad boy" to Walker as he smiled and paid his fine. He may have been wrong but I like a guy who sticks up for his team mates.

Flame suit ON. :aj:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
KiwiBird said:
Fair enough!

I bet Mitch Payton said "bad boy" to Walker as he smiled and paid his fine. He may have been wrong but I like a guy who sticks up for his team mates.

Yeah, that's about the only time I have actually liked Walker. When I saw the video I was thinking, throw him and the bike off the track.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
For once, I think the AMA got it just about right!

:nod:

dante

Mar 24, 2004
Wow the AMA did get it right, seems pretty fair... I wonder what the conditions of the probation are... Is their some kind of suspended sentance for Alessi, and Walker... Do they just have to be good boys now? Or like real probation; random drug test and maybe some AMA community service... Imagine Mike & Matt picking up all the trash after Anaheim 1... Or have Mike do a sportsmanship clinic at LL's, would be good...

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
What kind of probation? That to me is the question, personally I would have liked to see not a monetary fine on Alessi but a disqual or point fine of some sorts for the 06 season. Do you really think five thousand is alot to this kid? It might be something, but I am sure it isn't making him live off of Mac and Cheese and hot dogs, "I have had to do that for a time during a financial crisis". I wish I had enough spare cash to send my tech 8's to Alpinestar and tell them to shove them up their butt, because I won't wear/promote anything they sponsor till they drop Alessi. Unfortunately I AM ON a limited budget and can't afford to do so "it might be something fun to do when I get my income tax back though". I wasn't an Alessi hater till I saw the video on OLN. His attempt to cheat is almost as bad as the C class sandbaggers. At least Alessi had something to cheat for other than a silly plaque. MY FREE .02!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I agree that for once the AMA did it correct. I only hope that the companies that sponsor Alessi look at the attitude they are promoting as representative of their products. Many won't care and some will actually relish the publicity the 'Bad boy' image will give. If there are 2 products of equal quality/ value and one does not support Alessi I would be more prone to buy that product next season but it won't dent the companiews profits at all.

As far as Walker I think the AMA was just but I really was glad to see him do what he did. He didn't really endanger any other riders and took only enough action to get his teammate back out racing without deterring Alessi ability to also get back to racing. Mikey just has to take some lessons on restarting that thumper

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
'Bad boy'
?
Watching the video, "Bad Boy" isn't exactly what I call the kid... "Beaten Boy", "Sally Boy", "Whiner Boy", "Loser Boy".. yeah, maybe.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I think the AMA's actions are commendable. :cool:

I just hope that the probation period is a "one strike and your out" for the rest of the season kind of probation.

jwren00

Oct 30, 2004
KiwiBird said:
Fair enough!

He hasn't been able to smile since the race, his jaw is wired shut and he's missing 5 teeth :ohmy:

Is there any video of his wreck anywhere? Hopefully he heals up, that's a nasty injury.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Vic said:
For once, I think the AMA got it just about right!

:nod:

Indeed.

Ya know, I was starting to accept (I wouldn't say "like") Alessi, but after that incident, I will NEVER like that ^$%# *#)@.

I hope his bike catches fire at every whole-shot next season.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
CaptainObvious said:
Indeed.

Ya know, I was starting to accept (I wouldn't say "like") Alessi, but after that incident, I will NEVER like that ^$%# *#)@.

I hope his bike catches fire at every whole-shot next season.

I felt the exact same way. There was so much bad hype about him, then he shows up and wins races without trash-talking or cockiness. I was surprised, and actually pulling for him once in a while.

Then the Tedesco incident happened and it all went to ****e.

Ryan

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I hope he does it, or something like it, at the season opener next year. Then he and his idiot father can crawl back under the rock from whence they came.

Top Bottom