All Hail Craftsman Damaged bolt remover

jonnyriabov

Oct 27, 2005
Well, I went to change my new used 2004 yz 250s trans oil today, for the first time since I purchased it (4th ride), The darn drain bolt must have been over torqued the last time, because it wouldnt budge....I managed to strip the already worn corners off the bolt with my socket, and then mutilated the rest of the bolt with the old vicegrips.......I decided that the only way it was coming out would be to go next door and have my neibour weld a nut on to the end.......he suggested I try his damaged bolt remover first, and with the bike laying on its side, and a good solid pull out it spun......What a lifesavor tool, I strongly recomend it......

Hey I picked up two new drain bolts and washers today from my local yam dealer ( one to replace and one for a spare) and the replacement washers are made out of fiber or something, they said that yamaha has replaced the old aluminum washers part number with the fibers ones....is this true? or did the girl sell me the wrong washers?

jonny riabov

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
Yeah, the easy-out is pretty useful also. I used one to remove a cylinder dowel that had siezed into the crankcase hole. Cleaned up the hole with a 1/2" copper tubing cleaning brush (for cleaning up copper water lines before soldering) and all is good as new.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I second the greatness of damaged bolt head remover tool. I don't use my set often but when I do I'm sure glad I have it!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Do you guys have a link for this tool? It sounds cool. I have never seen one.

My local sears is , well, lets just say they would never know what I was asking for.

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
I am in the exact same position as you... i need to change my oil but the last time the oil was changed the guy torqued the bolt too much and now i have just mangled the head of the bolt. how much are these little miracle devices.

jonnyriabov

Oct 27, 2005
I went to pick up a set for my tool box, today.....the larger kit is $69 canadian, and the smaller kit is $19 canadian, the extra size kit is $19 canadian as well......the only problem is, that the size I need to remove my 12mm drain bolt does not come in the small kit, or in the extra size kit either, go figure........so I had to get the larger kit, as eventually all the sizes may come in handy someday, but hopefully not........

jonny

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
good ole pipe wrench will get it off for about $9.99

take your pick , ive found these to be successful on many occasions:cool:

jonnyriabov

Oct 27, 2005
A pipe wrench between the frame????? Or did you pull the motor???? I tried vice grips and only made the situation worse..... the drain plug for my yz is pretty low profile to begin with, not to mention pre rounded hex edges, kinda stupid if you ask me...but the bolt is probabally designed that way to prevent hangin up during a harsh botom out...or maybe even aerodynamics...lol....ill stick to the kit for now, besides, once your tool box is full, its just an excuse to fill another......right

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
many occasions, not all. worked on my 88 cr , but the 03 has a skid plate on her that id rather leave on iwill get those if i ever have to . it was a very small pipe wrench, much finaggling :bang: couldnt get a good grip on it so i tied a 12awg wire to the hole on the end and yanked her loose.

was just throwing ideas before anyone went to spend 70$
i forgot rule#1 .....never get in the way of a guy on his way to the tool crib :laugh:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I bought the starter kit for $19.99 and then asked for the expansion kit for xmas. If I remember it was cheaper that buying the whole shot at once. They will probably be going on sale for xmas. The stater kit came with enough sizes to help me out at the time.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
About the washers, on my 06 it has an aluminum washer so I don't know about them changing to fiber ones. I've never seen fiber washers used actually.

Top Bottom