nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We are only 8 rounds into the SX season... but there seems to be a substantial increase in the number of injuries this season. And some quite serious ones, too. Just to refresh your memory of some:

J. Smith - several severe injuries
B. Bonds - several severe injuries
Windham - femur/concussion
Bryne - lungs/ribs/ankle/collarbone
Larocco - wrist
Brandes - punctured colon
Ferry - knee/lungs/ribs
Payne - broken thumb
Ramsey - concussion/shoulder
Vuillemin - knee
RC - hand
Evans - collarbone
M. Shue - arm/chin
Thain - knee
Reed - shoulder/groin
J. Martin - shoulder
J. Peterson - collarbone
J.S. Roy - shoulder
J. Thomas - shoulder
T. Preston - concussion
Metzger - head?
M. Craig - foot
D. Oettel - back stress fractures

And others... Fonseca, Sheak, Splitfire kids, Pastrana, and whoever else I'm forgetting

So my question is... WHY SO MANY INJURIES? Are the tracks becoming more dangerous? Too technical? Too tight? Too many riders? I mean it seems a little out of control this year. I hate to see so many riders sitting out! What do you guys think? :think

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
At the level of difficulty (speed, track, competition) it is just a matter of time before any rider is going to have a serious injury. I just can't see how it can be avoided. All they have to do is blink at the wrong time. To avoid "some" of the injuries I think the riders will need to take the protective equipment to another level (check out hockey gear as an example) - but will this make them less competitive??

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
I think tracks are getting too technical. Atlanta was an AWESOME track from a fan's perspective, but for a rider it must have seemed more like an obstacle course than a race track. Also, I think grooming is a big issue. The Georgia clay was turning to rock-hard, ice-smooth stone toward later races, no matter how much they touched up. Nonetheless, RC acted like it was a walk in the park while the rest of the riders were clearly suffering.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Maybe the sport is a victem of it's own popularity. Do you think the track builders feel they have to play "can you top this" each week to maintain the extreem reputation of the sport? I love to watch the best riders in the world take on difficult tracks but sometimes it seems to me that there is so much emphasis on airtime, that the racing gets put in second place. Maybe the skill of the riders and the excellent new bikes have brought the sport to the level where all mistakes can have dire consiquences, I hope not. I really hope that this is just a streak of bad luck for the best riders in the world.
:think

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Most of the tracks have been pretty bizarre this year. Check (This Link) for the Atlanta track map. The whoops on the far right side were gruesome. They started out close together, then separated, then closed back up. We had an excellent view of them, and EVERYONE had trouble there. TP did a KingDaddy tankslapper at the end of the section. . .immediately after RC's version of the same move. I'm surprised that MORE riders haven't been hurt.

I've attended the Atlanta round for the past 5 or six years, and this year's track was radically different from anything I've ever seen there.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by nikki
Just to refresh your memory of some:
Brandes - punctured colon

OUCH! Don't think I recall every seeing a pro rider out because of a punctured colon. :eek: There have been some serious injurys for sure, but man I don't even like thinking about this one.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It sure does seem worse this year than in the past. The impact of TV I suppose, those with no knowledge appreciate air and that's it.

SX for me is just something to watch until the Nationals. I prefer racing to aerobatics.

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Part of the problem is technology. Suspension and motors keep making big improvements in what they can handle. Problem is, nobody has figured out a way to make human body parts improve what they can handle when you miss an obstacle. The crashes are becoming much more intense and injuries more severe due to speed and size of the air you have to get to be competitive in SX. Rider skill has increased too, but bones and ligaments are still just bones and ligaments.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I have been posting on this subject for a while. I really enjoyed the racing at indy yet the track according to the announcers was "easy". We won't have a sport of the injuries keep the best riders from racing. I like to watch racing , passing and a frieght train instead of 3 riders jumping wildly and the rest following around. :ugg:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I think the level of competition is so high now that the riders have to perform at thier best in order to compete. How many years have their been riders like DV, RC, MC, TP and ML. Not to mention the 125's. This coupled with the tracks make it inevitable that there are going to be serious crashes.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There is an old road racing adage that fast tracks make for close racing. IMO, less technical tracks might result in slightly less injuries, but the real attraction is closer racing.

However, the paying customers want to see crashes, big air, and riders doing nasty whoops . The brutal tracks give the most talented riders an advantage, so the top dogs are not likely to complain.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Hey I'm a woods rider and have never raced sx so I know nothing, but I did go to Atlanta SX - boring final - except for the big triples and whoops.

It seems that some riders get hurt by coming up short on the jumps. What would happen if they filled the ground in between the jumps? They could still do the triples but if they landed short it would be flat ground.

Please don't laugh at me - I know nothing.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Thermal, Ive had almost the same converstion with the manager of one of our local tracks. The argument is that the doubles and triples are a time penalty if you don't do them (a severe one) so that separates the most talented riders form the pack. To a certain extent I buy that but the combinations in SX have gotten so estreem that aI agree with Okie, the air is more important than the racinc (corner speed). Fun to watch, but getting so specialized only a handful can really do the obstacles.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I think part of the problem is many top racers really don't wear all the protection they could. I often see guy going to the podium for their interview, straight from the track, that appear to wear less gear than I do and I don't race, and keep thinking about wearing more protection than I already do.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
MxDad has hit the nail on the head. I also agree with HiG4s. These guys don't appear to wear body armour (it doesn't look like it's under their shirts). That's just crazy.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Protective gear manufacturers state that chest protectors are for roost protection only. :silly: Guys like Tim Ferry and David Pingree might want to take that with a grain of salt, in the future.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
The level of protective gear has not kept up with level of risk of injury in the sport for the last 10 years. Boots may be the only exception. Protective gear has to keep up with the times. I believe some of these injuries could be prevented if the gear was keeping up.

2 things - more table tops and better protective gear would have big improvements regarding these injuries.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yeah I think you guys really have a point about protective gear. It is amazing to me on how few Pro riders wear chest protectors - especially in SX. I know they are 100% protection - but they will sure help! And helmets... are they made strong enough? Still seems to be a lot of concussions but maybe that is unavoidable? Not to mention neck protection, back protection, knee protection, etc.

And you guys are right - the tracks have been ultra technical this year. Seems like every race has a big 10 jump rythm section and crazy whoops - but I guess that it what makes the fans happy. I guess maybe we should just be happy that all the SX races are selling out? :think

Combat767

It's all about the dirt..
Nov 20, 2001
SX for me is just something to watch until the Nationals. I prefer racing to aerobatics.

Good one Okie!
:aj:

I think they've pushed track building to a new level. Dirt Wurx has done wonders to mix things up this year, but it's taking it's toll. Even the Arenacross tracks have changed some this year. Hopefully we have some recovered riders by National time, or the factory showing will be slim. The Arenacross series is winding down, and it sure would be nice if the factories were to give some privateers a chance on some factory bikes. You can't showcase a bike if it's sitting in the semi every weekend. A privateer gets a chance to ride something factory and the factory gets their bikes out in front of the fans. Sounds like a win win situation to me.:)

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I agree that they try to make it bigger and better to impress the fans. True fans do not want to see their riders get hurt. For example I would like to see RC and DV fight it out for the rest of the season than see one get hurt and the Tiltle race be over. This is suppose to be racing not X games. Jumping High and doing tricks do not impress true fans. Riding faster and faster each week and being consistant does. I like good racing just like good football. I will be attending the N.O. race in the superdome and many of the riders that started the season won't be racing(bummer).At the speeds and Hieght these guys get it will not take much to injure or end the career of one of our favorite riders. Then were will the sport be? As the level of competition increases the sport will gain more popularity thus create a greater market. Anyway just my 2 cents.:moon:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom