cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
so when I was on lunch today I went to the grocery store next day and browsed thru a mx mag...in there was an article about an all wheel dirtbike...its avialable for honda's I forget what model and I think it was called the christina or something..anyone heard of this? the mag said it will probably eventually take over mx just like 4 strokes are doing now.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
What do you mean? An all wheel dirt bike?

\

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Yamaha ran one in the Paris-Dakar Rally two years ago. It worked on a hydraulic system and worked well from what I remember.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Here are a couple of pictures I shot of the bike at Indy in Feb 2006

misc0026.jpg

misc0027.jpg

misc0028.jpg

misc0029.jpg

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
The article I read said $6800 just for the kit!

OUCH! does it cook me dinner and give me sexual gratification? cus at that price it better.
wish they had better pics of the actual inner workings of their systems on their site. i really want to see some detailed pics of the steering head gear system. One day, oh yes one day, i will finally build my own.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'll be going to the Indy Dealer Show next month and will be getting some very detailed pictures of the various parts of the system.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
I'll be going to the Indy Dealer Show next month and will be getting some very detailed pictures of the various parts of the system.

Awesome, ill be looking forward to seeing those. the idea of having a 2wd dirt bikes makes me all giddy ;)

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I've had a really good, close up look at this and it's impressive, albeit a little complicated.

There is a shaft with a torque limiting clutch running from the back of the sprocket you see in the picture up to the steering head (which is all replaced from stock) and that feeds gears in a new triple clamp and shafts (with sliding bearings for no stiction) down to the front wheel equipped with a sprague clutch. It uses 2 shafts so no torque steer.

I've got mixed feelings about this system versus the hydraulic Ohlins one on the Yamaha. Christini's system has very little power loss but is complicated and has more stuff to break whereas the Ohlins one is relatively simple (and almost a simple bolt on) but has a parasitic power draw of about 4 hp and possible torque steer issues. Yamaha (who has a share in Ohlins) has been messing with their system for over 10 years.

Both options have issues with fitting large tanks at this time.

The AMA has banned 2 wheel drive in some classes in a pre-emptive strike so they must think there is some advantage to be had. 4 wheel drive revolutionized rally cars and 2 wheel drive "could" do the same for bikes.

Christini are selling the Honda kits now and will be adding KTM next. KTM frames will be changing in 2008 (SX in 2007) so I'll be looking at this closely.

Fun times we live in :aj:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Is there a guard removed to show the chain or is that the actual riding configuration?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Well I rode the Christini on Sunday up at Gorman in very slick conditions. Rode 2 bikes - a Honda 250X and a 250R both with a big bore kit.

The bike rocks! They're going to have the 450 finished soon - just waiting on the tank mold.

They will do a KTM 4 stroke next.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I'll have to wait until the come out with the pitbike version.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Kiwi with all wheel drive? :p

I dont think I will follow him.

"Sure, no problem, c'mon mate right up that little section then its really fun"

Top Bottom