Allen screw sizes for the yz125 carb

GLeNs

Jun 12, 2007
I hear of people changing the regular philips screw heads on their carb to allen wrench style stainless style bolts these work well if you do alot of rejetting. So does anyone know the bolt sizes for a 05 yz125 mikuni carb? More specifically the 2 Bolts on Top of mixing chamber(Top of carb), Bottom float bowl screws and anything else.

Cheers i reckon this "mod" would come in handy for alot of people and also save them alot of stress lol

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I believe they are an M4 but the length can vary. Pull one out and measure it.

I replace all Philips heads with hex key head bolts...it is a great stress reducer!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I know there are universal screw and bolt kits available, but does anyone offer one with mostly allen heads?

Socket heads are good for replacing phillips, but I don't like them so much for replacing hex bolts. Socket heads get mud packed in them which can make emergency repairs difficult. There aren't that many pillips head screws on bikes nowadays, it makes more sense to just go to the hardware store and buy them individually. I think my 87 CR250 has 2 for the clutch lever, 4 for the flywheel cover, and 6 for the reed valves. There just aren't that many phillips in a modern bike. Your best source for screws is Ace Hardware, Orchard Supply is second best. Home Depot is the worst.

GLeNs

Jun 12, 2007
RM_guy said:
I believe they are an M4 but the length can vary. Pull one out and measure it.

I replace all Philips heads with hex key head bolts...it is a great stress reducer!

Will do when i get my bike supercleaned!! Pasted with sand atm havent had a chance to clean yet.

Thanks for the replys i was starting to think no one went on this forum lol

As for bolts u can buy a sh!tload of any bolt hex philps m4 m5 m6 etc on 3bay(Why is asterisked?) for very cheap!!

:cool:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You could buy the stainless socket head bolts necessary to do the carb for about a $1.00 at the hardware store. You don't have to wait for shipping, either.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
76GMC1500 said:
I think my 87 CR250 has 2 for the clutch lever, 4 for the flywheel cover, and 6 for the reed valves. There just aren't that many phillips in a modern bike. Your best source for screws is Ace Hardware, Orchard Supply is second best. Home Depot is the worst.

And 2 on the front master cylinder cap, and those are the worst! I think every bike I've owned I replaced those with stainless allen bolts because the phillips was already stripped or stripped the first time I tried to remove them. They suck!

Ace definitely has the best supply of any place I have been. And the last time I went to pick up a handful I realized at the counter that I forgot my wallet. They gave me all the bolts anyway. It seems every Ace I've been a regular of in Michigan and Arizona is staffed be mega-nice people.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I posted that and about an hour later I realised I had forgotten them. Those are tough. An impact driver almost always pops them out without trouble, even if they're stripped. Allen bolts aren't countersunk so I haven't replaced those with allens. I did replace them with stainless screws which seem to be harder than steel screws, therefore don't strip out as easily. I also put a dab of anti-seize on them. I've never had a problem with them seizing since.

I really do like Ace Hardware and have never had a bad experience at one. Home Depot, on the other hand... To top off a bad shopping experience you get hassled by the illegals out front as you leave.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
On my old KX125 the impact driver didn't budge them, just made a cone shape in the head. One of the ones on my YZ did the same.

Ace has countersunk stainless allen headed metric screws that work perfectly. Try finding that almost anywhere else.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom