podia

Aug 31, 2000
I always nearly loop out whenever i hit this step up jump,

or any jump with steep surface. is my body english wrong?

i can clear any other jump with bike level out in air, but always have problem with steep face up.

i know i can hit the rear brake but i hope i can do it correctly with my body posture.
any excercise that can help me with this?

maxkiks77

Sep 23, 2002
yeah it's wrong, i have this step up and remember you always lean foward, i play around with body posistion and find i will and have looped out when i lean back, remember to always lean foward, my advice is to watch bubba, he is always leaning foward.

podia

Aug 31, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
What are you riding? Are you trying to seat bounce it or stand? Is your aproach the same as when you hit the other jumps that you do without problems?

Ivan

a 02 YZ125, I hit (any) steep face jump as what I would do normally. I will stand/squat on the approach, I have always constantly remind myself to lean foward, but somehow, something is amiss.

please advice, thanks.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
your squat may be putting you in a lean position. Your lower leg should be relatively straight up and down and then lean your torso more forward. I used to squat a lot until I attended a clinic for MX. I just thought I was in an agressive stance and not almost laying on the bike.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Here is a picture of my steepest jump and shortest ramp.
My front wheel is just coming off the ramp and I am on the gas about 3/4 to full throttle.

Last edited:

podia

Aug 31, 2000
ted, do ya mean the lower leg straight up and down meaning

if the bike is on a level ground, the lower leg should be perpendicular to it?

I can't seem to see that pix of yours, can ya repost it, thanks.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
I have that trouble with step ups too. Be sure to let off the gas as soon as youre in the air, and lean pretty far forward. When I hit step ups its usually wfo, and i can see my number plate. When you go up the face try to lean forward as far as you can, i have seen some people touch their chest protectors to the crossbar pad from leaning forward so far. Just pretend youre doing a fender kiss haha.

jack909

Oct 7, 2003
a few lil tricks yes body position on bike is your first concern when aproching a jump but when in air hold down the throtle to get the bike to do like a wheelie in the air or for example on a step up after geting in the air hit the back break and i think youl be amazed on how much the bike will fly forward.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
The bikes momentum is not dictated by what throttle or brake you give it. These only change the bikes attitude in the air. You would only be changing what wheel contacts first. And anyway how often do u see the pros hitting the back brake. They change the bike's in air position with their body. Only in emergencies should us non-pros be doing brake moves in the air. But I guess we get into a lot more emergencies than the pros do.

jack909

Oct 7, 2003
no sry but i went to a motto school at the lasvegas speedway and pastrana was there teaching advanced cornering and jumping methods and he said on just about every jump they give it gas or break it the harder the more it works and havent you seen tom clowers when that guy gases it and slams breaks in air?but its prety weird cause i mainly see the pros breaking and gasing in air in outdoor motocroos.and i give the pro mx guys alot of gredit cause they even switch gears at same time in air they must have alot on there mind i guess thats why they are the best.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I guess I don't understand what you are saying. I think you are saying that by using your controls you can make yourself go faster in the air than the speed that you left the jump with.

Top Bottom