Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
My soles are shot on my Tech 8's which are only a couple of years old. Other than that the boots are in great shape. I orded some replacement soles from the local bike shop. Has anyone had any experience with replacing the soles on MX boots? Are these things just glued on? If so what kind of glue. I called a local shoe shop and the guy acted like it would be harder than heck to replace the soles but would do it for around 40 bucks. I'm thinking that he thought he was going to have to relace the soles entirely. Anybody got any ideas or past experiences?
Thanks,
Grant Dickerson
Open A class
NCHSA
KTM300

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
$40 is a pretty damn good deal, if you ask me. I have never got by with less that $65 on my workboots.

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
XRpredator,
Yeah, I didn't think that was too bad of a deal either. I am sitting here looking at the replacement soles I bought and I am confused on how these things are placed back on the boot. If I look at my Tech 8 boots, there are three layers of sole. THe first layer (closest to the top of the boot) is laced with string to the boot, that looks like a beatch to relace. The second layer (light brown color) is attached to this section. The third bottom layer (actual bottom of boot) does not have any thread through it. Does this mean that it simply needs to be glued back on? I haven't had a chance to go by the shoe shop yet. Probably do that tommorrow, was planning on riding but the snow has screwed things up.
Thanks,
Grant Dickerson

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I've replaced the inserts on my Tech 8s a couple of times and its easy to do yourself, I think that the instructions come with the replacement inserts which also includes the glue and screws.  You'll need a good hot air source, a paint stripper gun or powerful hairdryer is best, and after taking out the screws you need to heat the sole insert area thoroughly for about 10 mins or so until its hot all the way down to the glue, and the glue will then begin to melt and you can peel the old insert off.  Then using the hot air and a scraper take off all the old glue, and carefully follow the instructions for glueing/fitting the new inserts. Be careful to seal the edges, I seem to have trouble with dirt getting under there and causing the insert to lift.  Whatever you do don't do what I did to pair of Axo RC5s, where the inserts came without instructions and I got the old ones off with a chisel. Got half the base sole off as well!

mxjosh

Jul 16, 2003
Sole Performance in California is the company Alpinestars sends all their boots to for repair service and complete sole replacement.
Sole Performance. (800)944-2755

2 new "sidi" brand sole & new metal toe caps =$79.99 ship & handling(continental US)=$12.00 total= $91.99
Send to:
Sole Performance
165 so. el camino
real suite k
Encinitas,CA. 92024

(800)944-2755 M-F 9:30- 6 sAT. 9:30- 5 pacific time.

Top Bottom