supajdogg

May 1, 2007
I recently bought a 06 KDX200, and I want to make it a little quicker off the bottom. I've already read the KDX forum and the Hop-up tips, and I'm following them for the most part. But I had a question on the Pipe and airbox mods. I want to put an FMF Gnarley pipe on it and toss the airbox lid, but this will require me to rejet, right? I haven't been able to find what the recommended jetting would be, even on the FMF site. This is for Michigan riding in tight trails, 1000ft elevation, 55-90 degrees F.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
you will make it surprisingly quicker by just rejetting. Try 42 & 155 and adjust from there as a suggestion. Read the old forums, but get you some better spings in the forks before you land in the er. You will love your KDX. John Harris

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
What's wrong with the springs? They seem ok to me. I'm 255lbs so I'm sure they're too soft for me, but I stiffened up the compression dampening a bit and they seem ok. From the manual it looks like a real PITA to change the springs. Is this true?

Looking at my plug I would say the jetting is ok stock, just a bit rich. What are the stock jets?

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
:yikes: Your springs would b e perfect for you if you lost about 120 lbs(no offence) They say that stock springs are good fo riders who weigh in at about 135 lbs. I changed my springs this winter while I had the forks out. Just to change one spring is probably only 5-10 minutes.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
Really? Is it as easy as pop the cap and change it out? The manual makes it look like there's special tools involved. I've changed the springs in older bikes and in my street bike, but never in a cartridge fork.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Buy the individual jets. It isn't that hard just takes some time and patience. BTW, get some springs for your weight and see how much better your KDX handles.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
I Got Parts!!!

So I got new fork springs, a FMF Gnarly woods pipe, 12tooth sprocket, boysen power reeds, and a kickass t-shirt.

The pipe sheet recommends 155-160 on the main, says NA for the pilot, stock needle on the 3rd clip and 2 1/2 turns on the air screw.

STOCK the carb is at a 160 main, 48 pilot, stock needle on 3rd clip and 1 3/4 turns on the air screw.

I haven't done a plug chop on the stock setup, but it looks to be maybe just a tad bit rich overall from looking at the plug. So should I try it with the stock setup since it's the same as what's on the sheet, or is something strange here?

Oh yeah, woods riding, 1000ft, 70°F, 93 octane gas with 32:1 Klotz racing oil.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Put the clip in the next to top position--nearly everybody agrees on this. I suggested jetting before. With suggested jetting about 1.5 turns out on air screw and turn her on! Cheers John

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
supajdogg said:
What's wrong with the springs? They seem ok to me. I'm 255lbs so I'm sure they're too soft for me, but I stiffened up the compression dampening a bit and they seem ok. From the manual it looks like a real PITA to change the springs. Is this true?

Looking at my plug I would say the jetting is ok stock, just a bit rich. What are the stock jets?

Im at 255 also and beleive me, go with springs. Very easy to change and worth the effort. :ride:

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
In my opinion, for what its worth, I would think about a different oil. We ran Klotz racing oil, in the woods, and not happy about what things looked like on the inside of the engine. While its a good oil for certain applications, I think there may be a better choice for woods riding. Just my 2 cents.....

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
Squeeky Springs

I installed my new .48 racetech springs, and now the forks squeak when I compress them. I think what I hear is the springs rubbing against the wall of the fork. Is this normal??? I'm pretty sure they weren't squealing before....

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
John Harris said:
Put the clip in the next to top position--nearly everybody agrees on this. I suggested jetting before. With suggested jetting about 1.5 turns out on air screw and turn her on! Cheers John

I know you suggested jetting, and I appreciate it greatly. I just thought with a pipe and reeds and the airbox lid removed I would have to go Richer than stock, not Leaner. That's the way it works with 4 strokes I know. 2 strokes are wierd I guess.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
Makeshoes said:
In my opinion, for what its worth, I would think about a different oil. We ran Klotz racing oil, in the woods, and not happy about what things looked like on the inside of the engine. While its a good oil for certain applications, I think there may be a better choice for woods riding. Just my 2 cents.....

Thanks for the info. I only bought the Klotz because the shop here in town didn't have anything else. I don't plan to spend another $13 for a quart of oil.

Top Bottom