Status
Not open for further replies.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
:bang: So I was reading yet another 2-stroke vs. 4-stoke thread (actually I read the first post then went to sleep) and I though, "Hey why don't we discuss something different for a change. Like, Why honda, suzuki, kawasaki, and yamaha are going to aluminum frames instead of sticking with steel. Or maybe we can discuss if aluminum chassis really are superior."

So any takers on aluminum vs steel frame discussion, or do we just want to keep grinding out the old 2stk vs 4stk threads? :bang:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
they both suck.

I'll settle for nothing less than Chucktanium

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It's all about the bling. Wonder why manufacturers went to the twin spar frame? It's so you have that big piece of metal there under the tank that you can polish up. It's the same reason they went to aluminum swingarms.

On a more serious note, weight wise they're both pretty much the same. Steel frames are generally 2-3 lbs heavier. But, the aluminum frames are generally much more rigid.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
mox69 said:
Do tell, how does one make "Chucktanium?"
I can't tell you.
76GMC1500 said:
. . . It's the same reason they went to aluminum swingarms.
Now you're talking out of your ass. They went to aluminum swingarms to cut down on weight. Since the swingarm isn't necessarily supposed to flex, it works well.

The debate betwixt aluminum and steel frames usually falls on lack of frame flex, which affects handling more readily.

at least that's what I've gathered over the years.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Everybody is always so excited about correcting me that they fail to notice I was making a joke.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
76GMC1500 said:
Everybody is always so excited about correcting me that they fail to notice I was making a joke.
no, I just wanted to say "ass"

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
I think Chucktanium is an alloy of uberanuim and chuckthim.

The think I see is that everybody talks about aluminum frames being lighter but the KTM sx 250 is lighter that even the YZ 250. Don't tell the weight is just becuase it is a linkless suspension on the KTM.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
76GMC1500 said:
Yes, but that's what (just like "Tiggers,") AssClown SuperPowers do best! :laugh: :nener:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Don't the MX bikes have a minimum weight? It doesn't really matter what frame material they use in that both are perfectly capable of being under the minimum weight rules.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I think aluminum is a better frame material due to the corrosion resistance and flex characteristics, now that they figured it out. Unfortunately GasGas and KTM haven't gone aluminum yet. Maybe some day...

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I haven't seen a steel frame rust through, yet. Corrosion isn't exactly an issue there. I have seen plastic side panels and radiator shrouds rub nearly through aluminum frames, though.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
76GMC1500 said:

If you didn't spend so much time posting incorrect information, everybody wouldn't have to spend so much time correcting you. :bang:

If you are posting something that is intended to be a joke, add one of these little winking smileys to your post and then everyone will know it is a joke.--------> ;)

The subject of aluminum vs steel frames has already been beat to death. Do a search.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom