zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I just received the new Transworld Motocross magazine yesterday and read the 450f shootout. At the end of the write up for the YZ450F, it stated they were eagerly awaiting the aluminum framed Yamaha which is rumored to be in line for production.
Has anyone else heard about this? I would like to wait for that bike if this is the case.
That was the main knock they say on the bike, that the older steel frame makes you feel as if you are sitting "on top" of the bike, which makes the handling harder then the alum framed CRF which the frame makes you feel like you are "sitting in" the bike.
any truth to the alum YZF's?
I read 3-4 years ago that the Yamaha designers werent interested because of no real weightsavings, and at that time the honda frames weren't perfected... Now the Honda frames are dialed in, maybe others are disecting them and fabricating their own.. I mean, Suzuki is putting it out on their 450. It seems it would be true, I just would like to know what YEAR..... :cool:

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
i've read in magazines many times with photo's of prototype aluminum framed yami's. the reason they havn't come out yet, is because they have not found any reason or advantage to switch. so until they find an advantage we prolly won't see them

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
yeah, I am thinking that the thoughts of doing it now is more for handling/feel of the bike... weight doesnt seem to be the issue. I think the yz450 is reportedly 1 lbs lighter then the honda. If that is true, then it must be for the other characteristics that they are doing it.

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
Remember though, Everts bike in 01 and 02 had an aluminum frame. When the class dropped to 450cc the bike went back to a stock steel frame and Everts liked it much better. Obviously there is no real advantage to going aluminum, even if you are the second fastest rider in the world.

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
Keep in mind. The aluminum frame that Yamaha has been experimenting with (at least a few years ago) is still of the standard backbone design, not a perimeter frame. It's more like the XR650 aluminum frame, not like the CRF frames. So it would still feel tall and still carry a lot of weight up high.

Top Bottom