jfurniss

~SPONSOR~
Aug 22, 2000
Every year we get reports that there is a big shortage of flu vacinne. I don't get it. Uh, why not make enough to vaccinate everyone??? I got mine through work early in the year, but can't find any for my wife or daughter. Any ideas?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
It appears to be economics over public health.
Because last year 'they' ate the cost on 15 million doses. So this year 'they' made 15 million less.
There are also only two manufacturers this year when there used to be three.

I hear the nasal mist is widely available, but not for kids under 5, and minors need a prescription from the doctor to get it.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
That nasal mist one costs $70 here compared to $20 for the shot. I dont think i've had a flu shot in 20 years.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It takes them months to make the vaccine.  The just can't open a faucet and have more vaccine come out. 

Basically, the public health officials, hospitals etc... estimate how much vaccine they will need about a year in advance, and they order that much.  Taxpayers and hospitals can't be expected to pay for way more vaccine than needed year after year, only to throw millions of dollars away 'just in case'.

If there is a greater demand than expected for the vaccine, you've got a shortage.  This is the first time I can remember where there is a nationwide shortage - it's not like the screw it up every single year. 

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I've never had a flu shot and don't think I ever will. IMHO the flu shot is given out to way too many people. I think that generally healthy people should just take their Nyquil when they get the bug and stay in bed. Wouldn't it be reasonable to think that these flu bugs are getting stronger because they're evolving to get around these vaccines and stuff? Maybe we are just building a stronger virus? :think:
Isn't it a different strain of virus every year anyway? How do they predict what vaccines will even work? Aren't vaccines made from the actual virus? How do we know that we aren't just spreading the thing around worse than it would if we let it run a natural course? :think:

I don't like the flu :p

Last edited:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by jaction125
IMHO the flu shot is given out to way too many people.

na that'd be antibiotics...It astounds/scares me how over prescribed those are.

I got a flu shot over a month ago and peeps all around me that didn't are catching the bug. Some common sense like washing your hands!!!! often goes a long way too, especially this time of the year :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom