Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I'm a 180 pound "A" rider and have been riding for some time. On every bike I've owned, I always start of setting the sag to the recomended settings. Usually that is around 100mmm or 4 inches.
After this, I always find myself lowering the preload over the next few months. I usually back it out about 1/2 turns at a time. Everytime I lower the preload the bike feels better and turns better. I feel more stable on the bike and the front end doesn't tuck under so much. I never have a problem with the front end washing out. I usually end up happiest with about 130mm of sag.
This is a whole lot of sag. What I'm wondering is it all that uncommon for people to like running this much. I've heard that some pro riders, like Jeremy Mcgrath and Ricky Carmichal like there bikes to sqat a lot in the rear end.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Whatever works for you. I like to run more sag than recomended but I have only gone as far as 120mm. Suspension set up is all about you. what works for you may not work for someone else. Just out of curiosity what kind of bike are you riding?

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I'm riding a wr250f, but I've ended up doing this to other bikes I've had. Other bikes include RMX's, cr250's, and a KTM 200.
It just makes me question myself to be running this much sag. Am I doing the right thing because it feels best to me? Or am I all whacked out?

elf

Jun 7, 2003
I would say if your an "A" rider you have enough experience riding to know what works for you.So no your not whacked out!

Top Bottom