kxrider125

Oct 4, 2003
I took my cylinder to a machine shop to be honed and they first told me that the gouge along my cylinder wall is too deep to hone out and needs to be resleeved.
Its a 84 kx 125 that already had been resleeved.I believe that the cylinder could not be bored over as the gouge was very deep(thats another story)
anyways he told me that it would be hard to find a sleeve that would fit....some investigating on my own shows they are common from wiseco or kawasaki themselves.so now he wants to charge me extra coz he says he has to bore the old sleeve out .020 past the original and then the top of the cylinder needs to be planed even after the new sleeve is pressed in.
first off,they have to bore the old one out anyway and its standard practise to plane(shave)the top after its pressed in anyway!!
I did not want to start accusing him over the phone as i am quite a novice in all this.
Is this guy trying to take advantage of a newbie such as myself or
is he on the up and up? any advise on this would be much appreciated so i know what im talking about when i ask him about it.
Thanks
Tony

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Do a search on the internet and print out the instances of the pistons, sleeves, etc and show him that they should not be extremely hard to find and only have him do the nessecary work, if you dont want the gouge to be bored out then have him just resleeve it and not worry about that. Many people figure that motorcycles and the like are play toys and if you can afford to have one, then you must have alot of money to just put into them. Explain to him what you mentioned above. Talk to him face to face not over the phone.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
my cylinder is not sleeved, but it had a big gouge from port to base and Aptec welded the damage and re-plated and hone etc all for the price of the re-plate. ( And did a v.good job as far as I know ). Even in this country its quite easy to to find sleeves if want to.

Top Bottom