DesertRose

Nov 15, 2006
I am supposed to be picking up my '07 Honda CRF 150 this weekend. My ink isn't on the paperwork yet so I'd like some advice first.

My info:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'0", 120 lbs (just had a baby)

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? somewhat, will start off slow hope to get pretty aggressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? tracks & trails plus fields on my family's property

4) Do you have any riding experience? yes, ninja 250

5) Do you think you will race ? would like to one day but I could get another bike by then.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes, I've always worked on all our bikes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Honda (love kawi too) 4 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Honda

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? under 7k

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion - I'm not looking for the perfect bike to ride for years just something to start off on.

TIA!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Sounds like a perfect bike for you. Go leave some ink (and some cash) with the dealer and enjoy your new bike.

BTW, congratulations on the new baby.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I agree. Good choice.

See if you can get them to throw in a baby seat for the back. It's never too early to start the new ones on two wheels!

DesertRose

Nov 15, 2006
gwcrim said:
I agree. Good choice.

See if you can get them to throw in a baby seat for the back. It's never too early to start the new ones on two wheels!
haha! Funny enough, our baby announcement was a picture of her in the top box on our ST1300! ;) I am just now starting my 5 year old off on her own bike but with this one, as soon as she can reach everything, I'm going to get her started. :)

Thanks both of you. I felt pretty sure I was going for the right ride, you've both helped concrete it for me. I'm heading there today!!! :yeehaw:

matte1014

Sep 2, 2006
just wondering.. but how much are you spending on the 150.. you dont have to answer i am just wondering because im planning on buying an '06 pretty soon and wonder what the price difference is

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
DesertRose said:
I am just now starting my 5 year old off on her own bike but with this one, as soon as she can reach everything, I'm going to get her started.

My one son started when he was 7 years old (now 12). I saved his CRF50 for his younger brother. Younger brother soloed the bike on his 5th birthday, and hasn't ridden since. He's now 7.

He just doesn't like it as much (at all) as I had hoped. I ask him from time-to-time if he wants to ride. I never push him into it. He always says no.

I'll hold onto the -50 for another season, and if he doesn't ride, I'll have to give up my dream of a moto-family.

My point (I think I have one) is that the funny thing about our kids is that even though they all come from the same parents - they're all different.

motocross4life

Yamaha-What'r You Riding?
Oct 29, 2006
matte1014 said:
just wondering.. but how much are you spending on the 150.. you dont have to answer i am just wondering because im planning on buying an '06 pretty soon and wonder what the price difference is

i think she is talking about the new 07 150r.

lefty20

Nov 13, 2006
CaptainObvious said:
My one son started when he was 7 years old (now 12). I saved his CRF50 for his younger brother. Younger brother soloed the bike on his 5th birthday, and hasn't ridden since. He's now 7.

He just doesn't like it as much (at all) as I had hoped. I ask him from time-to-time if he wants to ride. I never push him into it. He always says no.

I'll hold onto the -50 for another season, and if he doesn't ride, I'll have to give up my dream of a moto-family.

My point (I think I have one) is that the funny thing about our kids is that even though they all come from the same parents - they're all different.

yeah thats what i did iwth my kx100,my little brother didnt even want a new bike he had his eyes set on my kx but he will probibly end up with a new bike soon,he just got sidi boots,some tires and those cool colored rims :bang: i wish i could put more mods o nmy bike...

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I've got two younger brothers. The oldest of the two is not attracted towards bikes and stuff, he prefers cruising around on an old 4-wheeler TRX 200 lol, he's the football/basketball guy. My little bro which is 10 loves dirtbikes and resembles me. I've shown him how to ride the PW50 at 5 years old and now he is on my old XR80. He started with the clutch on his second try and went on. He is very good and I'd like to sell the XR80 and PW50 to buy a 65 for him to enter MX. My father doesn't want me to which I think is pretty sad considering he has enormous talent. Anyway I thought I'd share this with you guys.

I've heard some very good stuff on that CRF150 and the bike seems to fit you as a glove. It's the one Ashley Fiolek rides, right?

DesertRose

Nov 15, 2006
kawicam250 said:
good luck! sounds like the right bike for you at this moment. :ride: ive got a question for you since your the mother of a 5 y/o girl. ive got a 6 y/o sister who takes balleigh. is it possible for a girl to take balleigh and ride dirt bikes? :whoa: :think:
If you meant ballet, I would think so. My daughter is 50/50 girly-girl and tom-boy. I think it's the perfect mix for a girl. She'll grow up to be tough but still able to put on a dress (or jeans) and knock em dead. Also, I noticed you are from Charlotte. I plan on taking my daughter down to TNT to try out her ride, I've heard good things about that place..

As far as the pp about one child wanting to ride and the younger one not being interested, I have certainally considered that. I come from a big motorcycle family. Even my grandmother used to ride her own. So far, there have been very few that haven't had the desire to ride.... of course, mine could wind up being one of them. I will never push either of my girls to do something simply because it's where my interest and passion lies. I will give them every chance to try it out though!

For the other pp regarding the price, I am getting an '07. I was going to head down there tonight but now am going in the morning. I'll ask how much the '06 models are going for OTD and let you know.

Thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate it!! I'll be sure to post up how my 5 yo takes to riding, you never know, she might not go for it. Then I'll just have to use the 50 as a pit bike until the little one is ready for it!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
DesertRose said:
If you meant ballet, I would think so. My daughter is 50/50 girly-girl and tom-boy. I think it's the perfect mix for a girl. She'll grow up to be tough but still able to put on a dress (or jeans) and knock em dead. Also, I noticed you are from Charlotte. I plan on taking my daughter down to TNT to try out her ride, I've heard good things about that place..

As far as the pp about one child wanting to ride and the younger one not being interested, I have certainally considered that. I come from a big motorcycle family. Even my grandmother used to ride her own. So far, there have been very few that haven't had the desire to ride.... of course, mine could wind up being one of them. I will never push either of my girls to do something simply because it's where my interest and passion lies. I will give them every chance to try it out though!

For the other pp regarding the price, I am getting an '07. I was going to head down there tonight but now am going in the morning. I'll ask how much the '06 models are going for OTD and let you know.

Thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate it!! I'll be sure to post up how my 5 yo takes to riding, you never know, she might not go for it. Then I'll just have to use the 50 as a pit bike until the little one is ready for it!

i just so happen to be going to TNT tommorrow Nov.18. shes all ready a tough little bugger. if you happen to be going to TNT tommorrow, here's what to look out for: a 14 y/o with long red hair who is 14 y/o on a KX125 riding mostly down on the Intermediate track. TNT is a awesome place to ride, and just plain have fun. its very family friendly and keeps you entertained all day long.

DesertRose

Nov 15, 2006
kawicam250 said:
i just so happen to be going to TNT tommorrow Nov.18. shes all ready a tough little bugger. if you happen to be going to TNT tommorrow, here's what to look out for: a 14 y/o with long red hair who is 14 y/o on a KX125 riding mostly down on the Intermediate track. TNT is a awesome place to ride, and just plain have fun. its very family friendly and keeps you entertained all day long.

I won't be there today, my husband is at the dealership picking up the bikes right now. I will prolly be taking them down to my family's lad in SC next week and perhaps heading to TNT the following week. I'll look for you when I do make it there though! Have fun riding today!

DesertRose

Nov 15, 2006
I just got our bikes home :cool:

My daughter looks awesome on her's! The rest of her gear will be in on Wednesday, I can't wait to get her lessons started!

Attachments

• PICT1861.JPG
    PICT1861.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 67
  • PICT1866.JPG
    PICT1866.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom