smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I posted anything on DRN, I'll fill you in on why I am cursed by the moto gods...

5 years ago I was riding my trusty KLX, my daughter was not yet born and I was getting in a good ride before I started my new job, well long story short I crashed, seperated my shoulder and learned the hard lesson that it hurts, and I don't recover as quickly as I once did.

Fast forward 5 years, the KLX has been in storage for 5 years, I had thought about selling it time and time again but thought I would want to ride someday and couldn't think of riding any other motorcycle. I have been working in excess of 70 hours a week, and I finally get a weekend off and decide I want to ride. I dig out the scoot, get her running in fine shape and hit the APV trails at Richland state forest. I had an awesome day of riding, just like I remember it being, took the bike back to my dad's place where I keep it, and put it away another time....then it happened....

I was at home, several hours after leaving my bike safe and sound and I get a phone call.....there was a fire at my dad's place, no major damage to his house thank god, but the contents of the shop were pretty much a total loss...and my bike to be listed among them....I hate to think I held on to the bike for so long for this to be its end, but at least I got a farewell ride on it.

As for now hopefully my dad's homeowners insurance will pay for the bike, but where else would you find a 1994 KLX250 with a stroker racing 307 kit, mikuni pumper carb, suspension sprung and valved for me, with a stroker header and FMF Q series pipe, fresh set of michelin S-12s, WER steering dampener....you know pretty much a bike you'd put your heart and soul into, I'm pretty bummed but thankful at the same time that my dad and his house are still standing....

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The family is more important. Glad your dad's place is still standing. The ol' bike can be replaced. The time and effort will just have to be repeated. Besides, starting over getting a bike just the way you want it will spur your enthusiasm.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Hopefully you will get the bike covered, I don't know that you should bank on it though :( I have a similar bike and found that it was not covered under home owners, the modifications I have made would not be covered under a standard policy. Soooo if you have any kind of documentation of the various upgrades start getting them piled up now and prepare for a battle or you will only get the value of a stock '94 at best.

Go figure I have a '79 MG Midget in my garage, it too would not be covered under my home owners as a vintage / classic valued vehicle, so I have a collectors policy on it.

Glad thing seemed to have worked out as best as they might have in a situation like this.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
that's what I was thinking is that they would want to pay for the value of a stock bike, all of the mods were done probably 8 years ago so I have nothing to show for them as I have moved since then and they became lost/thrown away....The important thing is that the house is still livable and nobody was hurt, they returned home right after the fire started so they were very lucky...

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
oh and I put pics (the morning of, and after) in my member's gallery, it still makes me sad to look at it...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom