kingbrian

Member
Jul 20, 2006
123
0
so im just curious, i see all these posts all the time of these guys/kids posting about how little power their 250 2 strokes have and how they need more power, i think to myself well i must be old and outta shape because my 94 wr250 sneaks up on me all the time and trys to pull my arms off, or trys to toss me off the back, so am i fat and outta shape and definately aging, or do these kids not know how to ride or have broken bikes. just a question that bothers me sometimes...
 

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
2,142
1
The people who complain about their 250's not having enough power are the people who don't know how to ride them. They like to brag to their friends about having a port and polish, jetted carb, bling pipe, etc... Either that or they use their 250's for hill climbing.

It seems most of the old timers I see are on 500's and do some crazy hill climbing. However, they refuse to run the tracks for fear of getting hurt. Kinda weird, huh?
 

kingbrian

Member
Jul 20, 2006
123
0
well im only 26,, im over weight and outta shape but i can ride, given my bike runs outta juice and thrills across a 2mile long dry lake bed but wen it gets tight (track/trail) i hold on for dear life... i like to think they cant ride cuz it makes me feel better :laugh:
 

ZOMBIE666

Member
Mar 24, 2006
324
0
im 24, havnt been able to ride my 250 since learly fall of last year (just been putting on the 80 and my girls old 87 kx125. last saturday i broke out the cr250. good god im rusty.
almost ran into my buddies fence twice because the bike almost got out of my hands. I need to get more seat time. living near DC with out a truck sucks. nowhere to ride, a 200 sq/ft back yard just isnt cutting it :bang:
i can ride, just really need to get back into shape :|

im no experts rider so my 250 got more power than ill ever be able to use
 

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
4,778
93
i can attest to the fact that in racing situations, you sometimes do need more power than a 250 two-stroke provides. i experienced it this weekend.
 

Akira

Member
Aug 29, 2003
105
0
my YZ 250 is only about two years old and it still scares the crap out of me from time to time. this thing has ample power with room to spare an it is totaly stock.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
1,533
8
I ride a YZ-125. There are times that I wish I had more power, but most of the time I just consider the small engine as a challenge. I can really claim bragging rights when I make it up a hill on my 125 that my son fails to climb on his 250.....

If I am just trail riding I am perfectly content with my 125. There are a few times that we get on a smooth trail and my buddies on thier 250s leave me behind, but I catch up when the trail gets rough again.

When I really wish I had more power is when I get into a competitive event that doesn't have engine size classifications. There is just no way a 125 is going to keep up with a 250 in the Super Senior class of a Grand Prix. I rode my first enduro yesterday, and I can tell you that a 450 four stroke is is way better than a 125 two stroke.....

Rod
 

SpeedyManiac

Member
Aug 8, 2000
2,378
0
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I ride a YZ-125. There are times that I wish I had more power, but most of the time I just consider the small engine as a challenge. I can really claim bragging rights when I make it up a hill on my 125 that my son fails to climb on his 250.....

If I am just trail riding I am perfectly content with my 125. There are a few times that we get on a smooth trail and my buddies on thier 250s leave me behind, but I catch up when the trail gets rough again.

When I really wish I had more power is when I get into a competitive event that doesn't have engine size classifications. There is just no way a 125 is going to keep up with a 250 in the Super Senior class of a Grand Prix. I rode my first enduro yesterday, and I can tell you that a 450 four stroke is is way better than a 125 two stroke.....

Rod

I disagree with your statement about the 450 being better. I ride a 200 two-stroke and have no trouble keeping up with 450s on everything but the really crazy hill climbs. Tight singletrack is where the small bore two-strokes shine...
 

Bakemono

Member
Apr 21, 2007
68
0
^I agree. Id rathar have a 125 than a 450 in an enduro. In fact, Id take a 125 over a 450 no matter what kinda riding it is (at least I can afford to rebuild the 125 when it blows up, not so sure I can say the same about the 450).
 

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
2,969
2
I guarentee there are only a handfull of people that can actually ride any bike to it's potential. I'm old and suck but I managed to keep my 47 year old self near the front of the pack in the vet classes on my 125, and even better now that I'm on the 250 4-stroke.
 

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
314
0
Dang!! another 94 WR250 guy ! :)

Here's the real deal... it's a bad to the bone Motor, period. Even though my WR is "in the barn" so to speak, my memory seems to say it was a better motor than my 03 250yz.
 

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
942
0
kingbrian said:
i see all these posts all the time of these guys/kids posting about how little power their 250 2 strokes have and how they need more power, .......or do these kids not know how to ride or have broken bikes. just a question that bothers me sometimes...
A 250 2T only needs more power when its racing against 450 4Ts with the same caliber rider, or hill climbing.
 

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
1,533
8
Speedymaniac/Bakemono:

Have you actually riden an enduro?

I would have said the same thing prior to Sunday. I love my 125 and if time doesn't matter I'll make two or three attempts to get up a hill without any problem. If I had done it right the first time I would have made it up the first time, but I definately need a running start and if I fail I somehow need to get my momentum back.

My first realization that I needed more power was ~3 miles into the enduro. I had a master class rider on my same minute so I was basically just following him. We are riding in our minute, but early in it. We get to a hill and he goes about 3/4 the way up AND STOPS! Okay, there very well could be a checkpoint just over the brow of the hill, so he is killing 10 seconds or so. When the time is right he takes off, no problem. I am left there slipping the hell out of my clutch trying to get momentum up again. Fortunately there wasn't a checkpoint right there but I was a good 10 seconds behind him by the time I crested the hill.

What really did me in was the skinny, rocky, sand wash that I was supposed to average 24 MPH in. I felt like a pinball, bouncing off all the boulders while I am bogging down in the soft sand. I think I lost over a minute in what was probably less than a mile because I just couldn't stay in the power band in 3rd gear and 2nd was too slow.

Rod
 

SpeedyManiac

Member
Aug 8, 2000
2,378
0
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Speedymaniac/Bakemono:

Have you actually riden an enduro?

I would have said the same thing prior to Sunday. I love my 125 and if time doesn't matter I'll make two or three attempts to get up a hill without any problem. If I had done it right the first time I would have made it up the first time, but I definately need a running start and if I fail I somehow need to get my momentum back.

My first realization that I needed more power was ~3 miles into the enduro. I had a master class rider on my same minute so I was basically just following him. We are riding in our minute, but early in it. We get to a hill and he goes about 3/4 the way up AND STOPS! Okay, there very well could be a checkpoint just over the brow of the hill, so he is killing 10 seconds or so. When the time is right he takes off, no problem. I am left there slipping the hell out of my clutch trying to get momentum up again. Fortunately there wasn't a checkpoint right there but I was a good 10 seconds behind him by the time I crested the hill.

What really did me in was the skinny, rocky, sand wash that I was supposed to average 24 MPH in. I felt like a pinball, bouncing off all the boulders while I am bogging down in the soft sand. I think I lost over a minute in what was probably less than a mile because I just couldn't stay in the power band in 3rd gear and 2nd was too slow.

Rod

I race the A class and am trying to qualify for the ISDE this year. I ride a 200 but I've ridden my buddies 05 YZ125. Go up 2-3 teeth on your rear sprocket. Makes the 125 a lot easier to ride. I stand by my statement that I'd prefer a 125 to a 450 for enduro/woods/harescrambles. I'm only 160lbs so the 450 is too much for me in the tight stuff. I love my 200 as it has enough power to haul me around, yet if I pin it or get tired I won't get ridden by the bike. You gotta be dead on on gear selection and clutch control, but if you get the hang of it a small bore two-stroke will sing in the woods. :ride:
 

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
81
0
I sold my 250 2t and bought a 250 4t cause the 2t made it feel like I spet the day in the boxing ring. I'm very out of shape and with 2 year old twins, I don't hardly have enough time to ride let alone train. The 4t is a much less abusive ride and still rips. I have yet to think it needs much more for what I do.
 

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
8,129
2
Merrillville,Indiana
I do not trail ride as much as when I was young,I fear idiots,boobie traps and quads!I prefer a selected course.In all honesty I do not ride anywhere I need a 500,Baja yes!(one day)A 125 I can ride as fast as any other size,in corners faster,So am I lazy cause I want to ride a modded 450,or enjoy being closer to death and injury?When I was younger I felt I was faster on a 250 and could ride it like a 125 in the corners,a 500 was just ridiculous to try and achieve my desired corner speed.My last few adventures has my straightaway speeds coming up,but this thing with obstacles and gravity is another story,its Thursday and I am still sore from 25 laps on ill handling machines Sunday.Then there is the maintenance thing,smaller bore means more top ends.I have got to ride a modded 250t,the cr134 was most impressive,a cr280 may be in my sights!The 4t's are fine,but I flat out do not like them in corners,or what little I am in the air.I can get past the power curves,but not the top heavy,weird gyro effects,yuck!
 

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
5,349
3
Bspeed said:
Dang!! another 94 WR250 guy ! :)

Here's the real deal... it's a bad to the bone Motor, period.


Yep. I've chased a few of them around before and they rip.


I'm big fan of 200 and 250 two strokes. Plenty of power for me, but I'm willing to jet and tune the bike properly. Also, my favorite ride is a long day of woods single track. They tire me out less in the woods. Having the right suspension is a big part of that.

The modern 450's have great motors, though. Very easy to ride and strong everywhere, with usable power over an incredibly wide rpm range. On starts, hills and long straights they will pull lengths over an equal rider on a 250. Even if it is not tuned to perfection, it's got more power than most guys need. So they put in gas and go. That part is appealing to anybody who can't tune a bike. Shoot, it's nice even if you can tune!

I think lots of riders like to drag race their buddies from corner to corner, or to see who can get the farthest up a hill, or to haul across the desert, or to launch big jumps on the MX track. Those riders get addicted to 450s in a hurry, and it does not hurt that the 450 works pretty good on trails, too.
 

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
11,790
34
The only time I feel an advantage on a 450F is when there is a big jump fairly soon out of a turn. The rest of the time I prefer a 250F, even though I outweigh both bikes by a fair bit.
 

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
4,110
11
When I ride my 250 2-T I can beat a fair amount of guys. It is totally stock. I don't think I could beat one more guy if I was on a 450F. I have beaten guys on brand new 450Fs and modified ones also. I have also had my butt whipped by two kids on 80's. I still can't catch those kids! I'm sure there is a kid on a 65 that could do it to. It all comes down to the rider. Be happy with your two stroke. I am!!!!
 

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
1,533
8
SpeedyManiac said:
I race the A class and am trying to qualify for the ISDE this year.

Okay, your credentials are noted!

SpeedyManiac said:
Go up 2-3 teeth on your rear sprocket. Makes the 125 a lot easier to ride. You gotta be dead on on gear selection and clutch control, but if you get the hang of it a small bore two-stroke will sing in the woods.

I have definetly decided that I need to change the ratio for enduros. I don't want to change it for play riding however as I am already getting left behind because I am pinned out in 6th gear. I keep wanting to shift to 7th gear!

There weren't many times during the enduro that I even got to 6th gear let alone being there long enough to worry about the loss of top speed. It only takes a minute to lose a minute when you grind to a stop on a hill but it would take a LONG time to get that minute back from the difference that the gearing would make in the top end.

I was actually thinking of dropping the front sprocket one tooth. I figure that I would be able to use the same chain and wouldn't have to mess around as much changing back for play riding.

Do you think one tooth on the front would be too much of a change?

Rod
 

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
11,790
34
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Do you think one tooth on the front would be too much of a change?
Oh yes...about the same as adding 3 or 4 to the rear. When I used to do some of the local indoor races I used a -1 tooth front sprocket...and still did starts in 1st on a YZ250.
 

Hawk45

Member
Feb 21, 2003
48
0
I don't think it's about not enough power.. but more likely the ability to put said power to the ground at a particular time and place. Lots of guys want the smooth power of the 4-stroke but the build of the 2-stroke.. Each bike definatly has its strenths and weaknesses... I think the ability of the rider to master his/her bike is the key b/c there is more than enough power in any of todays/yesterdays bikes to get you where you need to be..
 

SpeedyManiac

Member
Aug 8, 2000
2,378
0
Like HLG said, dropping 1 tooth on the front is the equivalent of going up about 4 teeth on the back. That said, front sprockets are cheap (~$20 for a cheapo steel one, $40 for a Dirt Tricks Ironman sprocket) so it doesn't hurt to try it out. You might not even have to break the chain if you have enough adjustment left.
 

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom