RECENT POSTS

am i getting old?

so im just curious, i see all these posts all the time of these guys/kids posting about how little power their 250 2 strokes have and how they need more power, i think to myself well i must be old and outta shape because my 94 wr250 sneaks up on me all the time and trys to pull my arms off, or trys to toss me off the back, so am i fat and outta shape and definately aging, or do these kids not know how to ride or have broken bikes. just a question that bothers me sometimes...

The people who complain about their 250's not having enough power are the people who don't know how to ride them. They like to brag to their friends about having a port and polish, jetted carb, bling pipe, etc... Either that or they use their 250's for hill climbing.

It seems most of the old timers I see are on 500's and do some crazy hill climbing. However, they refuse to run the tracks for fear of getting hurt. Kinda weird, huh?

well im only 26,, im over weight and outta shape but i can ride, given my bike runs outta juice and thrills across a 2mile long dry lake bed but wen it gets tight (track/trail) i hold on for dear life... i like to think they cant ride cuz it makes me feel better :laugh:

im 24, havnt been able to ride my 250 since learly fall of last year (just been putting on the 80 and my girls old 87 kx125. last saturday i broke out the cr250. good god im rusty.
almost ran into my buddies fence twice because the bike almost got out of my hands. I need to get more seat time. living near DC with out a truck sucks. nowhere to ride, a 200 sq/ft back yard just isnt cutting it :bang:
i can ride, just really need to get back into shape :|

im no experts rider so my 250 got more power than ill ever be able to use

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
i can attest to the fact that in racing situations, you sometimes do need more power than a 250 two-stroke provides. i experienced it this weekend.

my YZ 250 is only about two years old and it still scares the crap out of me from time to time. this thing has ample power with room to spare an it is totaly stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride a YZ-125. There are times that I wish I had more power, but most of the time I just consider the small engine as a challenge. I can really claim bragging rights when I make it up a hill on my 125 that my son fails to climb on his 250.....

If I am just trail riding I am perfectly content with my 125. There are a few times that we get on a smooth trail and my buddies on thier 250s leave me behind, but I catch up when the trail gets rough again.

When I really wish I had more power is when I get into a competitive event that doesn't have engine size classifications. There is just no way a 125 is going to keep up with a 250 in the Super Senior class of a Grand Prix. I rode my first enduro yesterday, and I can tell you that a 450 four stroke is is way better than a 125 two stroke.....

Rod

rmc_olderthandirt said:
I ride a YZ-125. There are times that I wish I had more power, but most of the time I just consider the small engine as a challenge. I can really claim bragging rights when I make it up a hill on my 125 that my son fails to climb on his 250.....

If I am just trail riding I am perfectly content with my 125. There are a few times that we get on a smooth trail and my buddies on thier 250s leave me behind, but I catch up when the trail gets rough again.

When I really wish I had more power is when I get into a competitive event that doesn't have engine size classifications. There is just no way a 125 is going to keep up with a 250 in the Super Senior class of a Grand Prix. I rode my first enduro yesterday, and I can tell you that a 450 four stroke is is way better than a 125 two stroke.....

Rod
I disagree with your statement about the 450 being better. I ride a 200 two-stroke and have no trouble keeping up with 450s on everything but the really crazy hill climbs. Tight singletrack is where the small bore two-strokes shine...

^I agree. Id rathar have a 125 than a 450 in an enduro. In fact, Id take a 125 over a 450 no matter what kinda riding it is (at least I can afford to rebuild the 125 when it blows up, not so sure I can say the same about the 450).

I guarentee there are only a handfull of people that can actually ride any bike to it's potential. I'm old and suck but I managed to keep my 47 year old self near the front of the pack in the vet classes on my 125, and even better now that I'm on the 250 4-stroke.

Bspeed

Subscriber
Dang!! another 94 WR250 guy ! :)

Here's the real deal... it's a bad to the bone Motor, period. Even though my WR is "in the barn" so to speak, my memory seems to say it was a better motor than my 03 250yz.

Reesknight

Subscriber
kingbrian said:
i see all these posts all the time of these guys/kids posting about how little power their 250 2 strokes have and how they need more power, .......or do these kids not know how to ride or have broken bikes. just a question that bothers me sometimes...
A 250 2T only needs more power when its racing against 450 4Ts with the same caliber rider, or hill climbing.

Speedymaniac/Bakemono:

Have you actually riden an enduro?

I would have said the same thing prior to Sunday. I love my 125 and if time doesn't matter I'll make two or three attempts to get up a hill without any problem. If I had done it right the first time I would have made it up the first time, but I definately need a running start and if I fail I somehow need to get my momentum back.

My first realization that I needed more power was ~3 miles into the enduro. I had a master class rider on my same minute so I was basically just following him. We are riding in our minute, but early in it. We get to a hill and he goes about 3/4 the way up AND STOPS! Okay, there very well could be a checkpoint just over the brow of the hill, so he is killing 10 seconds or so. When the time is right he takes off, no problem. I am left there slipping the hell out of my clutch trying to get momentum up again. Fortunately there wasn't a checkpoint right there but I was a good 10 seconds behind him by the time I crested the hill.

What really did me in was the skinny, rocky, sand wash that I was supposed to average 24 MPH in. I felt like a pinball, bouncing off all the boulders while I am bogging down in the soft sand. I think I lost over a minute in what was probably less than a mile because I just couldn't stay in the power band in 3rd gear and 2nd was too slow.

Rod

rmc_olderthandirt said:
Speedymaniac/Bakemono:

Have you actually riden an enduro?

I would have said the same thing prior to Sunday. I love my 125 and if time doesn't matter I'll make two or three attempts to get up a hill without any problem. If I had done it right the first time I would have made it up the first time, but I definately need a running start and if I fail I somehow need to get my momentum back.

My first realization that I needed more power was ~3 miles into the enduro. I had a master class rider on my same minute so I was basically just following him. We are riding in our minute, but early in it. We get to a hill and he goes about 3/4 the way up AND STOPS! Okay, there very well could be a checkpoint just over the brow of the hill, so he is killing 10 seconds or so. When the time is right he takes off, no problem. I am left there slipping the hell out of my clutch trying to get momentum up again. Fortunately there wasn't a checkpoint right there but I was a good 10 seconds behind him by the time I crested the hill.

What really did me in was the skinny, rocky, sand wash that I was supposed to average 24 MPH in. I felt like a pinball, bouncing off all the boulders while I am bogging down in the soft sand. I think I lost over a minute in what was probably less than a mile because I just couldn't stay in the power band in 3rd gear and 2nd was too slow.

Rod
I race the A class and am trying to qualify for the ISDE this year. I ride a 200 but I've ridden my buddies 05 YZ125. Go up 2-3 teeth on your rear sprocket. Makes the 125 a lot easier to ride. I stand by my statement that I'd prefer a 125 to a 450 for enduro/woods/harescrambles. I'm only 160lbs so the 450 is too much for me in the tight stuff. I love my 200 as it has enough power to haul me around, yet if I pin it or get tired I won't get ridden by the bike. You gotta be dead on on gear selection and clutch control, but if you get the hang of it a small bore two-stroke will sing in the woods. :ride: