2FAST4U

Mar 19, 2001
hey guys,i am 6'1 and about 265,and ride a 1996 kx500.the bike handles really good to me,but im worried that my forks and rear shock are too soft.im just now getting into some small jumping,i jumped this jump i made in my back yard,its about 2 feet tall,and i jumped it at very low speed just enough to get my tires in the air,and i landed.the landing felt good,but im scared im hurting my forks.i looked at them,and i could see the wear mark (left fork is leaking) and it was about 2 or 3 inches from the very bottom of the fork.also,if im bottoming out jumping 2 or 3 feet small jumps,am i hurting anything?thanks.

------------------

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by 2FAST4U:
.the landing felt good,but im scared im hurting my forks.i looked at them,and i could see the wear mark (left fork is leaking) and it was about 2 or 3 inches from the very bottom of the fork.

Please describe this "wear mark". If you mean the dirt line wiped clean by the dust shield, that is normal. At the other extreme, if you have flaking chrome, you in a heapa trubble. Try the film trick mentioned several times this week. You probably will still see some leakage on your '96. If you keep your oil level set properly you can put up with a weeping for a while. If it's on the brake side you run the risk of ruining your pads when it finally gushes.

As for bottoming, I don't think you will damage anything unless you are hitting so hard it hurts. Keep an eye on the rubber bumper at the bottom of the shock shaft. If it starts to crumble you are def hitting it too hard and will have to beef up the 'spension.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Remove that T in you suspention and you should be ok

------------------
never ride faster than an angel can fly

2FAST4U

Mar 19, 2001
As For JPIVEY,dont reply with stupid **** like that,i expect an answer not that bs.as for mace,the chrome is no wearing off,the wear mark i am talking about is a slight fork oil film on the left fork (the fork that has a leaky seal)im not bottom so hard to where it hurts,im not even sure im bottom,but i know im about 2 to 3 inches,give or take a few from the very bottom of the inverted fork tube.

------------------

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
2FAST4U, I sincerely apologize for my stupid
post, I too come here for answers to many questions and would like serious comments

I'm gonna go sit in the corner now

------------------
never ride faster than an angel can fly

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Hey 2fast4u lighten up.

Put a zip tie or piece of thread around the fork leg and go ride the most demaning part of the track. Then if the tie is half an inch from bottom you are about there.

HOWEVER, before you do this check the sag on your shock. This will have a massive effect on the way your forks behave. Always start at the back with the sag

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

Top Bottom