TomMcT

Aug 4, 2005
ok, I was just finishing up putting in my new piston ring on my 1996 RM 125 and I was torquing the last bolt that holds the cylinder on and I was talking to someone and I broke the stud AHHHH so after looking at it for a while I decided before I did anything stupid I would do a little research to see what I can do any suggestions?

Cheers,
Tom

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Remove the head and see if any of the stud is protruding. If so then you can grab a hold of it with some vise grips and remove it. If it's recessed then you'll have to remove the cylinder and use an easi-out to remove the stud. I feel for ya...good luck

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
If there is enough to grab with vice grips file off a little bit of the stud to create two flat spots.
You will likely only get one shot at this, so soak it overnight in some quality stuff like Liquid Wrench then heat the cylnder a bit first with a propane torch.
If you are not totally comfortable with using an easy out don't take a chance. Take it to a machine shop.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
If there is enough to grab with vice grips, I personnally would use a small pipe wrench(it will grip better and have less stress and as you turn it it will grip more).

Also when you buy one stud buy them all, and get new nuts also, this should be done every other time you do the top end, its cheap insurance, theses bolts see all the worst elements heat, water, torque and even people who just tighten them too much(ussually lack of a good torque wrench).

Lok

TomMcT

Aug 4, 2005
yeah I am going to weld a large nut to the rest of the stud and just use a wrench to get it out, and its not the one on the cylinder its the one thats ontop of the crankcase that bolts the cylinder on...

TomMcT

Aug 4, 2005
are the studs sticking out of the crankcase removeable? its not looking so good for me... I am not doing anything till I know what I am doing and I am sure I can do it

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
They are removable but may be corroded or Loctited in place. Some heat on the case will help loosen them. Your idea of welding a nut to what is protruding is OK. Just make sure you don't break it off again. :ohmy:

Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
If there is enough of the stud sticking up, your best bet will be to get a stud remover. You can borrow one from AutoZone. It is not likely to break it again, because it grabs the stud at the very bottom.

Top Bottom