ralphie_boy

Apr 29, 2001
I'm looking at purchasing a used 2000 kdx220. I'm 6'0" tall and just over 200 lbs. Most of my riding is in woods that are somewhat tight to fairly open. I'm not a very aggressive rider but I do like moderate size jumps. Am I too heavy for this bike? Will I have to do extensive front and rear suspension modifications? Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
You would have to modify the suspension no matter how big you are. I am only 5'4" 140 and the stock stuff was way too soft for me. You might want to take into consideration the amount of money you will spend on the bike after you buy it to make it work for you. There are many engine and suspension mods to be done to make the bike suitable for you to ride. I tink with the right mods it can work well for you. My friend who is much bigger than you used to love to ride my bike. He would have needed it stiffer, but there seemed to be enough power to haul him around in the Ca. desert.

Good luck and hope this helps you. Any other questions, ask away.

Brenda

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
I'm 6'+ and over 235 and my 200 pulls me everywhere I want to go. I wasn't impressed with the power until I installed a pipe, modified the airbox, and jetted. Very happy now.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I think all you need to do is change the front fork springs to a stiffer pair from Fredette racing and then ride the bike stock. It will pull you just fine. If after you ride it for a while you feel you need more performance you have a vast set of opportunities to make the bike really fast. All I did was mod the air box, change the front fork springs and add a FMF Rev pipe and the bike can fly through the woods and I weigh about 190 right now. (But losing weight!) :)

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
I had to change fork springs and shock spring on my 200 to accomodate my ever increasing personal displacement. I would agree with the previous posts that you will probably have to do that with any bike. I had to do the same thing to my CR.

The bike has the power and suspension to carry my 200+ lbs over 30 ft doubles without bottoming too hard although this isn't what it (or me) are best at.

Buy the 220 sounds like you'll love it.

JETPRO_X

Sep 6, 2000
ralphie_boy I'm 6' and 235 my buddy who bought his at the same time as me is 250 and 5'11. For trail riding the bike was fine. But for more aggresive riding, hill climbing and jumping the bike need's better springs and revalving. My buddy put a FMF torque pipe and TC2 can on his. It made world of differance. This inspired me to go full bore with my bike. Pro Action Suspension, ported motor and lots of extra's. Do the math and the bike is still a great value. :p

TheMort

May 31, 2000
The 220 will be fine, but like everyone else said, the suspension may need some stiffer springs, but you'd end up eventually tuning any bike's suspension you get eventually anyway. My 200 is fine for me and I'm 5'10" and 165lbs, my only complaint was the forks which I haven't gotten around to getting new springs for yet. Try to get a ride on one if you can so you can see for yourself.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I am also 6'0" and 210 lbs. You will most certainly need 21lb springs but they only cost around $60.00 and can easily be changed yourself. Other great mods for the tall and heafty can be found @ http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

The 220 will have plenty of power to haul you around:cool:
and with a few mods it will FLY

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
you'll love it!

ride and then fine tune it nexted winter. I'm bigger than a house and weigh twice as much. I'll never tell the true weight!

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
he's not that big

come on 70marlin your not that big, your just fat :p

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
youll be just fine on a kdx at your size, im also a 6 ft'er and am 215 lbs and the kdx with some stiffer springs and suspention work, "fairly easy to do" your kdx will just be fine, and will have plenty of power to haul you just about through anything, if its jumping ,i air out my kdx all the time and when setup properly its ok for that too, there just a pretty hard bike to beat.:eek:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom