DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
1) your physical size: 6' 230lbs (planning on getting down to 200 by the end of the summer)

2) How physical / aggressive are you: I'd rather brake me than my bike...

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?: All of the above.

4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes

5) Do you think you will race ? Wanting to get into it.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I will be doing ALL of my own work.

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Yamaha or Honda.. 2-stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Cycle Design right next door and they carry everything.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? 1000-2000 used.

10) Do you live in California? No.

11) anything else:

I'm looking into getting a YZ125 but don't know if I'm physically too big for it. I would like to get into racing in an amature sense and would just like to keep up.

I want something fast, light, easy to work on, and easily modified with a high after-market support base.

I really love Yammi's and really don't want to go for anything bigger than a 250, or a 4 stroke.

Any suggestions?

Dan

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
I would say you are not to big for a 125. I am 220-250 depending on the deason and i can race 125s and not do to bad. You just need to keep up the RPMs.

ditto, youre not too big for it, but youll need to keep it up in the RPM's to get you going. once you get used to it, youll probably do very well on it :cool: .

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What's your age? If you fit in any of the "+" classes, they usually allow whatever size bike you bring... in that case, the 125 will be a problem against mostly 450F's .

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The YZ-125 is a full size frame, you definately are not too big for it as far as the suspension and frame size goes. The power is another issue.

For a beginner a 125 cc two stroke is more than enough power. As you gain experience you will discover that the smaller engine bikes need a little more finesse when climbing hills, you really need to keep the RPMs up!

As for racing, you need to get a bike that fits the class of racing that you want to do. In many of the races they divide the contestants up into engine size classes so if you were riding a 125cc you would be racing against other 125cc bikes. If you intend to ride Enduros there might not be any such engine size classes in which case a 125 cc will be a disadvantage.

You should be able to find a 5 year old YZ-125 or an 8 to 10 year old YZ-250 in your price range. If after market support is a concern then the newer YZ-125 would be your best bet.

My recommendation would be to start off on the YZ-125. If you start yearning for a 250 in a couple of years you should have no trouble selling the 125 with very little, if any, loss.

Rod

PS: I am 6' tall, ~195 Lbs and I ride a YZ-125 and love it.

May 10, 2007
what do you mean yz's are reliable

my friend's yz125 has run through everything with minimal maitmence(yea i know i spelled that wrong :( )

but i do like honda.....

kurt15

May 22, 2006
meh. the kx is fasst... its just my buddies all had said "yeah, seeing as we ride together all of the time let's all get the 125s." i said "aight" n went n hooked up the kx125. right after they all bought 450s n 250 2 strokes... losers aha

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
If it's pull you need at your weight on a 125 do some sprocketing experimenting with some diferent gear ratio's.
Smaller / less teeth on front = lower gearing, adding teeth to the back lowers the gearing. Going a tooth smaller on the front is like adding 3 to the back and is a lot cheaper than the back sprocket.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Danny this thread went off fast! Learn on the 125,and when you want more send it to Forward Motion for more power.A modded 125 will eat 4t 250fs!Take the suspension and send it to Wilkey at MX tech!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Danny this thread went off fast! Learn on the 125,and when you want more send it to Forward Motion for more power.A modded 125 will eat 4t 250fs!Take the suspension and send it to Wilkey at MX tech!

Danny, what fox meant by this is to send it to FM and have it bored out.

Top Bottom