Kt22345

May 4, 2020
So I'm looking at getting a Yamaha ttr 125, I'm currently around 150kgs (315lb) I believe.
Will it be able to carry my weight?? Someone please help!!!

Kt22345

May 4, 2020
I seriously doubt it. At 150 lbs, I ride a YZ125X and it screems. My son, at 220 lbs, says it lacks power for him.
What about a 150, keep in mind I'm a beginner rider so I won't want to be going flat out at the moment. I'm more worried about the bike itself. Don't want to spend money on a bike only for it to break because it can't handle my weight lol

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
To be clear... you are 315 lbs? Yes, you are too big for a TTR125. How tall are you? As far as a "full size" 125cc or 250cc (4-stroke) motocross bikes; they are the generally the same height a a 450 ... so depending on your height that will be a much better fit than the small TTR, not to mention a LOT more power than a TTR, which is a trail / back yard bike.

Most new MX bikes are setup from the factory for the "average" size rider, somewhere in the 150 - 170lb range if I recall, so mater what bike you get, it's going to be under-sprung for a bigger rider. You can still ride it and have a lot of fun as a beginner, it will probably feel pretty fast ... but keep in mind it won't handle as well as it should and it sure won't deal with hard landings... a sure way to get bounced-off big time.

Kt22345

May 4, 2020
To be clear... you are 315 lbs? Yes, you are too big for a TTR125. How tall are you? As far as a "full size" 125cc or 250cc (4-stroke) motocross bikes; they are the generally the same height a a 450 ... so depending on your height that will be a much better fit than the small TTR, not to mention a LOT more power than a TTR, which is a trail / back yard bike.

Most new MX bikes are setup from the factory for the "average" size rider, somewhere in the 150 - 170lb range if I recall, so mater what bike you get, it's going to be under-sprung for a bigger rider. You can still ride it and have a lot of fun as a beginner, it will probably feel pretty fast ... but keep in mind it won't handle as well as it should and it sure won't deal with hard landings... a sure way to get bounced-off big time.
I'm around 170cm tall - 5'8. A friend has a wr250f and it's too tall for me. I want something I can touch the ground with both feet. He also believes a 250 will be too powerful for me, but as I explained I'm quite heavy so I don't have many other options than to get a 250 do I.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'd probably look for a decent used 250 ... there's no really right answer here. I will say there are many your height that deal with a tall bike ... you'll figure it out if you want to bad enough. At your current weight, anything smaller (seat height, trail bikes) wont work out very well. Best of luck to you.

At your level of experience, how fast a bike is, isn't the most important thing. Getting seat time and learning the fundamentals is far more important.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
Have a look at the beta 300 xtrainer or gasgas 300 ranger. The gasgas has better suspension.
Power delivery is more mellow and they have lower seat height

Top Bottom