oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Mike Zimmerman had a similar question so I figured I would go to the source.
My case thekid and I are full AMA members and probably will try to stay upright with all you real riders but my wife just got her bike and I doubt will do much more riding than just PutPutting around. Can an Associate membership suffice for her?

Mike's question- his kids ages 3 and 5(?) do they need AMA memberships? They would not be competing and probably very limited seat time.

------------------
Dave
Participating in sports doesn't build character.......It reveals it!!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The discounted membership is the one I was referring to for Trudy. It doesn't include the magazine or racing. Just wanted to be sure it would suffice for the fest.

Any Idea on Mikes?

------------------
Dave
Participating in sports doesn't build character.......It reveals it!!

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
That's a tough deal if the little guys can't ride, and the cost does add up at $39 per kid.

If the event is like any other AMA event, all riders will probably need to be members. However, there is something to consider, which would be similar to how we would run the Mom & Dad races at the BMX track. (All riders need to be BMX members to ride the track.)

Here's what we do: The Mom/Dad fills out the membership paperwork, and signs the bottom. In the event that they were injured, then we have them cough up for the membership. Whether or not they want to pay the $25 might be another thing, but at least we have their signature, which makes us clean and legal. (at least sorta-kinda_

I'm not in charge, but this is something which might be a possibility. BTW, no flames, please, about dodging AMA fees. This is just a suggestion.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Not gonna happen.

I will not risk everything I own to save some people money. I can appreciate not being able to afford it, I hope you can appreciate my position. I've said before that I wish it could be completely free for everyone, I just can't afford it.

We will not be playing games and basically ripping-off the folks that protect my family from lawsuits (the AMA).

Flame on... dishonest, Under-handed suggestion Joe. I think it pretty much equates to theft.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
An AMA associate membership can be used at any AMA event EXCEPT a competition event. However, I don't know how the AMA and/or the promoter (DRN) would classify a spodefest since it contains both non-competitive (poker run) and competitive (hare scramble) events.:think

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
Associate members (family) can ride at the spodefest. The only event's they can't enter are the wheel-to-wheel events (Harescrables and MX) everything else is okay.

You might want to check further on that Okie. Our club holds 2 AMA sanctioned trailrides a year and we get the AMA insurance policy. I've talked twice in the last year directly to the AMA insurance dept about some of these issues.

The AMA stance is that ALL offroad events are considered competition, even our trailrides. Since associate members are not covered for competitive events, they are NOT covered by the policy we get. The AMA congress last fall took up the issue of changing that for non-competitive offroad events but they did not make the change. So every man, woman and child would need to be full AMA members to be covered under our trailride policy.

Please let me know if that's not the case anymore but I checked on it fairly recently and was told the same thing. I'd love to be able to sell just associate memberships to trailriders. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Top Bottom