ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Have any of you 125 tuners being playing with a MR2 alternative?

Getting ready to start testing motor combo's, and was wondering if it's time to try some different fuel brands. I have not seen VP, marketing a direct alternative to this situation.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ochster - Is there something about MR2 that you aren't happy with? Are you going to be fuel tested at the races you'll be running?

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I love the stuff! but with the new AMA no lead regulations, I will have to find another blend. My local VP rep has not been any help, in a supposed alternative. I will be testing our supercross set-ups next week, and will need a new fuel.

Neutec is aslo available locally, but I have zero experience with it.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Neutec as I hear is great but have not tested myself :(

Phillips P45 would be great but I doubt it is out your way.

I did make a call to VP and the bonehead I talked to was no help. One of the head techies will call me back later..I hope.

MS103 is a possible for a 125. I have test data from VP that says it did better than C12 at power output. The curve is a bit flat though. I have run it and find it OK and the O2 is 2.55% legal...????

If I get any info I will post back.. goodluck

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ochster - Has the AMA stated what type of testing (if any) they will be doing at the Pro races this coming season?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i have heard that the Nutec fuels are very inconsistant, this makes sense (to me) since if theyare using stuff like isoprene it will be hard to keep it stable and ie they get the inconsistancy.

i would be interested what the AMA rulebook says on these fuels first....before Rich tries to find a way around it. I think the important thing is thatyou cant meddle with the fuels and you have to use them straight from the can (from what i have read.)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by bclapham
I think the important thing is thatyou cant meddle with the fuels and you have to use them straight from the can (from what i have read.)

No problem, I'll put mix it in the can at home before I load up for the races. :p

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Rich remember my thread on the hot start piston sticking in the carby on the 04kxf250? My first though was it might be something in the Ultimate 4 that was causing the corrosion.

It seems Kaw is on top of this and have been having the same problem on a number of bikes. The rubber boot that supposed to seal out water and debris is at fault, not the U4. Thats good to hear! :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks for the update Steve. I'm sure a lot of the U4 faithful will be relieved to hear that. ;)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
what about my thank you???? :flame:

the only other thing i can think was that the choke usually has a rubber boot on, maybe it wasnt seated properly from the factory and when you washed the bike maybe a tad of water got in there????

:thumb:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
what about my thank you???? :flame:

Thanks for the tentative explanation of the observed phenomenon that ultimately proved correct upon further investigation.
Score one more correct hypotheis for Bruce. :yeehaw:
Take an atta boy out of petty cash. :thumb: :laugh:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Bruce I want to return the favor by telling you to take that rag out of your airbox and enjoy crisp jetting on your RM. See i'm thinking simple :confused: now thanks too you!!!!

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I have not actually read an AMA reg. concerning this issue. The common talk is that it simply needs to be unleaded.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
actually steve, can tell me a ball park jetting on a 36mm TMX on a 2000yz144 with v-force and a pc pipe??????? i havent got time to help the guy set it up and he is on his second big bore kit- i had build the last one from the crank up so i really dont want him to blow another engine up. cheers :thumb:

oh, btw- the keihin carb runs real lean on the rm- go figure ive got one carb rich and the other lean.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by ochster
I have not actually read an AMA reg. concerning this issue. The common talk is that it simply needs to be unleaded.

Mark, sorry for going off topic- i am only basing this on the hallowed publication MXA but i think there is also a limit on the oxygen content and i think it is much less than these new super fuels now available.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
The std reed is best on the 2000 but the v force will do ok. With at least 50/50 race fuel 340 main std needle mid clip std pilot35 as 2.0 or 32.5 as 1.5. timing 1-2mm advanced Race fuel only mod. expect around 38hp with a race fuel that makes power ie mr2 mrx01 or Ultimate 2. :thumb:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The limit on the oxygen content has been in place for a while now, but it's unclear if the AMA actually tests at MX races. A couple of years back the Silverdome smelled like the Castrol Funny Car pits there was so much nitro in the air after the 125 races.

I'd be interested to hear about anyone who has been tested and the procedure the AMA is using.

Mark - Phillips B35 (aka TT101) is a really good starting point for an AMA legal fuel. It can easily be tweaked if the opportunity and need presents itself.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by ochster
I would assume you would only be tested by protest?

Given how many high level teams have been rumored to play fast and lose with the rules, it seems unlikely anyone would ever have the guts to point the finger at an underfunded team. ;)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
As far as cheating goes, if a pro is running a leaded race fuel, the grey exhaust tip color would be an easy tell to an official. The big hole in a 4stroke can, will easily show those lead oxides. Wonder how their gona get around that? :eek:

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Phillips GT plus is available local. But I do have to buy it in a 30gal. drum.

Does anyone know of brands that are actually sold at the tracks on a regular basis? does the average guy haul his own on the road, like I'm thinking of doing?

Top Bottom