kbud

Aug 28, 2002
AMA Out Of Place
Fifty years ago, AAA was in the business of auto racing. An organization best known for trip ticks and roadside towing decided to leave race sanctioning to the pros. It's time for the American Motorcycle Association to do the same. The AMA is a great lobbyist and works tirelessly for the rights of riders all over the country. They are wonderful promoters of grassroots motorcycling. It's a group filled with honest, hardworking and good-hearted people. Unfortunately, they just don't know what to do with the pro racing arm of the empire. NASCAR never should worry again about open-wheel racing, and sports car racing is dead. There's another form of motor sports that NASCAR should fear: Superbike road racing. It could be-and should be-the next big thing, if anyone would allow it. The personalities are more interesting in Superbike racing. The access is more open. The action is more thrilling. The racing is more competitive at the front. People get geeked up when Tony Stewart bumps somebody with a fender, and they rise to their feet every time Dale Jr. makes a pass. That's nothing compared to Superbikes. Guys dragging knees and elbows at interstate speeds while cutting around concrete curbs is something to see. When's the last time NASCAR has had a lead change four times on the last lap? It should be easy to sell for the AMA, but it stays outside the mainstream. The AMA is content keeping it a niche sport with a cult following. The racing may be major league, but th business looks too much like club racing; SCCA on two wheels. Why the manufacturers put up with it is the biggest mystery. For all the money Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Harley-Davidson and Ducati have dummped into it over the years, one would think they'd want more of a return on their investment. Ultimately the makers are in the business of selling bikes. Dealers crow about Monday sales after an event comes to town. Imagine the volume they'd do if the races were on network TV or if ESPN dropped highlights in SportsCenter. A crowd of 50,000 or more will show up at Mid-Ohio this weekend. How many would show if a little promotion and effort went into it? It's time for the AMA to pass the torch. The teams and riders need to be racing for real money and a large points fund, not the Crackerjacks they're getting. They need to be doing it in a truly professional environment where the focus is on Superbikes and only Superbikes. Whenever and whoever figures it out, look out NASCAR.

What do ya think?

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
nascar is like wrestling more so than a race, I think they should take it off the sports shows and put it on tus. and thursday nights just before wrestling and the same fan base would be overjoyed.imo Yea I hate nascar! :|

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
My take on why Nascar has the following it does? Every joe blow in the country has either had a old junker CAR that they worked on, hopped up and tried to make go fast or they could easily get one. It could have been their first car, that 74 vega. Look around the yards out in the backcountry and you'll probably see a couple of cars on blocks in every other yard. Everybody has a car and identifies with it.

I think the sheer numbers of people who have tinkered with cars far outweighs those that have the same intimacy (whatever that level is) with bikes.

I totally agree that the marketing of bike racing sux - if you think the road racing scene is bad and you are on a dirt bike site though...hehehe , every freaking day I turn on the TV I can find "FIM Grand Prix" racing, you know how often I'm able to see a MX race? Now that's bad promotion!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The AMA could learn a thing or two from the FIM and/or FIA. All the series that are sanctioned by the two Euro bodies are enjoying immense popularity.

(Sports car racing is dead? NASCAB should never again worry about open-wheel racing? Has this guy ever even HEARD of the American LeMans Series or that little open-wheel series called Formula One?) :think:

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
I'm not sure the AMA needs to step away from superbike racing but you do make a good point. If superbikes were better promoted,the purses could get big enough for more people to get into it. There could be more classes for competitors of different skill levels and generally more people involved.Less street racing and more televised racing could not harm our image,and the extra cash would help the AMA promote all forms of motorcycling,maybe even get some land opened up for us off road guys...

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ive said it before and ill say it again............nascar vehicles and four wheelers enjoy their populartity because anybody who has driven a car on the public motorways thinks they can operate a winston cup car or a fourwheeler. there is something that those two activities have that translates to the general public.

sometimes i wish this country's public would treat us like the european public treats their motorcyclist. seems that they respect what motorcyclist represent and even encourage it......at least on street.

motorcycle racing in europe is fanatical.........kinda like nascar here. go figure.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
motorcycles are veiwed very differently in europe. They have a much more "normal" exsistance there then here. I do agree that AMA Pro needs to figure out a better plan, however I think it will take the concerted efforts of all the companys above mentioned and more to make it more main stream and acceptable. Its not a magical switch either, it will take time and effort, AMA has many avenues of pro to work on. Road racing is only a part of that end.

wardy

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Gerhard! How are ya bro :) Been a while. LOL

Top Bottom