AMA says No........not this year

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
hmmm, rules and process, ok.........we will follow those "next
year" nice unbelievable.

read this statement we just got today below

13515 Yarmouth Drive, Pickerington OH 43147-8273, T 614-856-1900 F 614-856-1924, www.amadirectlink.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 11, 2008
AMA Statement regarding Amateur Motocross Advancement
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- AMA Sports announced today that new rules regarding rider
advancement to “A” class amateur motocross competition will not be implemented in 2008. The
decision follows a collaborative review process between promoters, congress delegates, OEM
representatives and AMA Staff,
2007 marked the first year of implementation for the AMA’s National Advancement System in
amateur motocross. The goal of the system is to provide a consistent source or enforcement
regarding rider eligibility at the “C” class level, and then progress riders through the “B” and “A” class
rankings.
“After our review, we felt that many riders were being pushed into our highest level of amateur
racing too quickly and that we’d be taking a step backwards after the recent progress we have made
in creating a better system,” stated the AMA’s Director of Motocross and Supercross Ryan Holliday.
In recent years the AMA has undertaken measures to create a more fluid transition through the
amateur ranks and into professional racing. One of these measures was to create a clear path of
progression from the minibike level to the Schoolboy class, eventually transitioning riders to the
appropriate skill level.
“This system was developed by the motocross committee of the AMA Congress and was first
utilized at the District level before being applied nationwide in 2007,” said Holliday. “The recent
changes in the AMA’s class structure had an unforeseen negative impact on young riders being
advanced into the ‘A’ class, namely the increase in age limits for the youth divisions, but the exclusion
of ‘A’ level riders in these classes.”
A contributing factor was the late release of rider advancement notification. In accordance with
the AMA rulebook, advancements were to take effect on December 31, 2007. With the qualifying
rounds of the AMA’s Amateur National Motocross Championship already underway, as well as many
other local racing series, the implementation of the “A” class rule was not in the best interest of AMA
members.
“The AMA feels the National Advancement System is a very promising program and we will
make the necessary changes through our rules-making body in the AMA Congress later this year to
create a fair and simplified ladder of progression regarding rider advancement to the ‘A’ class,” said
Holliday. “Rider advancement from the ‘C’ class to ‘B’ class will be implemented as planned in 2008.”
-30-

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
advancement has been worked on since 2000. I submitted it then, and it was followed by the districts for a few years now. today this year AMA has to do it. they don't like the heat in the kitchen......

what rules do we want to follow?

ah hell lets just use the ones we like.

total crap.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
wardy said:
what rules do we want to follow?

ah hell lets just use the ones we like.

total crap.
And people wonder why some of us choose NOT to join the AMA

I've said it before: Unless you are Harley-Davidson, or want to fight a helmet law, the AMA doesn't really care about you.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Hmmm wonder if Spider can go back to B since he has yet to race his first A race.

Actually i wouldn't think he would want to stay in B. He realized he was fast enough to leave it and wouldn't really improve staying there. His first few races may be disasters but once he gets into the flow he should do OK

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Why is there an AMA Congress if the AMA is going to discard some decisions and make up new ones?

I will renew my expired AMA membership when I either have to for a race I *really* want to do or when I decide I have the strange urge to ride with loud pipes and no helmet.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
Why is there an AMA Congress if the AMA is going to discard some decisions and make up new ones?

I will renew my expired AMA membership when I either have to for a race I *really* want to do or when I decide I have the strange urge to ride with loud pipes and no helmet.
:cool: I agree 99.9999% with you on this, H.L.G.

Oh heck, let's just go ahead and round it up to 100%. :nod:

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
This was posted on our districts website a few days ago. Everyone there said just about the same thing. WTF are we even paying the AMA for?

I can understand handing the advancement decision back to the district (aka do it like it has been done the past few years), but to just say "no one advances" Is really dumb.

A lot of people had the same questions, they knew they were gonna be advanced based on RPV, so they rode up a class in their last race. Now what do they do? Can they go back down and race the lower class or are they forced up?

The "A" class turnout in our district is at an all time low and worse than other districts it seems. This will only worsen.

Oh well in 5 years when everyone is running outlaw races and the AMA looses a few hundred thousand in membership fees, they will maybe figure it out.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
this isn't pretty I just got off the phone with a parent who I told in October of last year.......Yes you will be moved to A class since you have the points average. This was after the rules were pretty much approved .

So i know if this was my kid that got "wrong" information that i would be a little miffed.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Let me tell you about a racer, on my calculations did achieve the almost unachievable, A class. Anybody thinks its easy, try it. Well, by the time it got tallied, for whatever reason, the rpv was just low enough to stay in b class. Why? Why move backwards? The vast number of riders in c class, their rpv moves them to b class. Not so many show up, why? Scared, give up, or cheat? Now the racers who have a high enough rpv in b class get bumped up to A class, once again, some have disappeared. Then you end up with 5 guys racing A class, 10 in b and 20 in c. No matter what happens that fact is not going to change. The rpv as I have seen it seems to do what it is supposed to do. I wish it would have been there when I was racing. The wimps get whittled out one way or another, the true racers come through, one way or another.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
High Lord Gomer said:

I haven't renewed my AMA membership for several years and don't plan to do so anytime soon. Most local tracks and series are not AMA affiliated so I see no need. Local series groups have their own rules and they can't enforce the advancement and sandbagging rules within their own jurisdiction.
If several AMA districts were to band together and pull out of the AMA's stranglehold, promote their own points series and rules, it would make a huge impact on the national series, possibly forcing national events to recognize the new group and force change in the AMA or replace it entirely. With the new sports group taking over SX promotions and management, NASCAR type promotions and rules will emerge inevitably. A new Non-AMA group could then lobby for enlusion outside of the AMA's control.
Riders that want to advance and become professionals within the current structure will just have to adapt to the AMA's structure, those who just want to compete locally should send a clear and loud message to the AMA, the one finger salute, ifyaknowwhatimean!

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I like the win and move up routine.

I think a guy that goes out and smokes the beginner class a few times should move up and ride "C". After a full year of racing "C" and winning a series in that class he/she should race "B".

I don't have a problem with letting a rider stay in "B" an extra year to get some more experience. The jump to "A" is a real shocker in some areas. An "A" rider has more than just fast lap times to show for his/her speed and can hurt a younger fresh rider that gets forced to race for money.

Top Bottom