Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Well, I had been wanting to switch from my 50:1 Golden Spectro and switch to 32:1 so I went with BelRay H1R.
Funny my bike has about 3 hrs riding time on it and always ran rich. (the dealer recommended 50:1 GS)
So, I bought the 37.5 Pilot to change and was going to raise the clip from #3 to #2 after I switched Pre-Mix.
But, since I have switched to the H1R it isnt running near as rich and actually the plug is nice light tanish white/offwhite.
So, I now see why they say going to a Richer Pre-Mix Oil ratio will infact Lean out the Carb.
Yes, I know you shouldnt chase rich or lean problems with Pre-Mix that wasnt my intention.
I only choose to go to 32:1 because all my forum reading says that is the best ratio and better protection. Not to mention I have heard so many people say they will never use GS again due to accumulations etc.
Yes I am one of the people that reads every post :)
Maybe I will hold off on jetting (my Air Screw is 1/2 turn more out then stock though)
Amazing, or maybe I just got lucky or both.
Granted the humidity isnt as high but, I think its due to better oil and Richer Pre-Mix ratio.
I ran it today a few minutes and here is the plug.
The plug on the Left is NEW and as reference only.
(both photos are same plug in different lighting so you can see tanish color)
Picture of Plug
another pic

Last edited:

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Hey, good to hear! :)

So hows it running now? I went from the Kawasaki oil to the Bel Ray H1R oil and I was only getting a few rides out of each plug. Then again, I only buy the 3 dollar BR8EGs. What plugs are you using? One looks like an EIX, and the other looks like either an ES or EG..

My friends bike (04 kx125) came with the very expensive 30$ plug (R69xxx..) and that seemed to last longer than the BR9EIX that came with my 03, for me. The plugs that Kawasaki reccomends seemed to last longer than the EGs at stock jetting though, but are also more expensive. Yet with leaner jetting, almost 6 or 7 months in on the same BR8EG now I might add though, so I have no need to even buy another spark plug yet.

My friend ran the H1R with stock jetting and it seemed to work for a few days, but then shortly fouled a plug. Then we raised the needle, which increased spark plug life, then put in the new pilot which has yet to fail.

GL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The more expensive plugs (The $30 ones) don't last any longer than the cheap ones.
I would avoid them unless you need them (The 03 and 04 KX125s do to prevent breakage).

You should read this thread if your are really interested in reading plugs properly.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?p=736901

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Studboy said:
The more expensive plugs (The $30 ones) don't last any longer than the cheap ones.

The 'reccomended' more expensive plugs (EIX/R69..) lasted several rides for both me and my friend (at stock jetting) compared to the BR8EGs which would barely make two rides without fouling if we were lucky.. After all of break in on my buddies 04, and about an hour later of riding after that his 04kx125, the R69 plug finally fouled. I gave him a BR8EG we brought just incase of this, and it only lasted his ride home.

Last edited by a moderator:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Tiylu, you should really read the above thread, and pull off a few searches of your own before going any further. Just remember that I'm not responsible for the real experts finding this and excoriating you with acidic feedback. ;)

Plugs don't foul themselves, neither due to cost or design---the operator does. If you're fouling plugs, it's either a jetting issue or plug temp range problem. The results of your Iridium 'experiment' may have all been due to temp range of the different plugs.

I will say that I tried an Iridium plug on my KX500, out of curiosity. No initial benefit, and after a few rides it was hard to start. The plug insulator and temp range were fine, but the electrode showed significant deterioration. Turns out, a lot of other KX500 riders were having the same problems. Of course, jetting was taken care of in my case, at least. Do I conclude that Iridium plugs suck? No. But I can tell you that your jetting is off if YOU are fouling these plugs. I have BEST results with the BR8EG.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I also run the BR8EG because that is what comes stock in my bike and they are only $3. I've ran one plug for a full year and it still looked decent. I put a new one in at topend time and have been runnning it since.

OK Tiylu, jet your bike starting with the pilot jet so that it won't foul plugs anymore with the cheap ES plugs (Or EG if you'd like) and then put the $30 plug in, and it should last a long long time.

I would definately run the specified plugs in those bikes, they have a habit of breaking off ground straps due to vibration after time, that is why kawi spec'd them (I would also put the expensive plug in your 03).

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
nephron said:
Plugs don't foul themselves, neither due to cost or design---the operator does. If you're fouling plugs, it's either a jetting issue or plug temp range problem. The results of your Iridium 'experiment' may have all been due to temp range of the different plugs, and found the EIX plug lasted longer for me anyways.. But regardless, stock jetting for most kx's isnt acceptable!

I will say that I tried an Iridium plug on my KX500, out of curiosity. No initial benefit, and after a few rides it was hard to start. The plug insulator and temp range were fine, but the electrode showed significant deterioration. Turns out, a lot of other KX500 riders were having the same problems. Of course, jetting was taken care of in my case, at least. Do I conclude that Iridium plugs suck? No. But I can tell you that your jetting is off if YOU are fouling these plugs. I have BEST results with the BR8EG.

Perhaps the heat ranges could have come into play.. When I first got my bike, I probably bought a rediculous amount of spark plugs to experiment with before I finally rejet.

Dont know if you are referring to me there, because I havent fouled a plug since February. I have found best results with the BR8EG as well, and for the same reason you mentioned, the EIX's sensative electrode, and cases of its tip breaking off, perhaps runing the top end (as with marcus gumbys case i believe?) The BR8EG after 7 months of riding time still hasnt shown any signs of deterioration or ware, and looks to be deffinetly a good quality plug :cool:

I was thinking about buying the expensive plug, but dont know. The BR8EG hasnt failed me yet.

jet your bike starting with the pilot jet so that it won't foul plugs anymore with the cheap ES plugs (Or EG if you'd like) and then put the $30 plug in, and it should last a long long time.

:nener:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Tiylu, sorry, I didn't catch the part about you already fixing the jetting problem.

I would definately run the expensive plug now that you have your jetting sorted out. Kawasaki specified that plug in 04 because in 03 a lot of KX125's had the strap come off of the plug which grenades the topend. Better safe than sorry.

blackoutyz125

Aug 7, 2004
on my 89 yz125, I still got the plug in since when i bought it (6 months ago) and it seems be still working good. I probally have 6 tanks of gas through it. Just a normal ngk plug!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Iridium plugs are generally billed as being longer-lasting than standard plugs. Likewise, my 'experience' was sort of novel--at least to me. However, I do remember reading somewhere on nitrous tuning in auto motors, that plugs with thin electrodes don't last long in that environment, pit quicker, thus exposing surface irregularities quicker and causing detonation quicker, which then of course, destroys the sparkplug QUICKER ;) .

This type of plug may then be a problem in bikes that run the line b/t perfection and detonation, for whatever reason.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
premix oil and/or ratio can definitely contribute to plug fouling. Anything with castor oil in it seems to promote fouling in my bikes. Smells good though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom