Ammerillo, Lake McKensie

tangell

Oct 14, 2002
Hi,

My son and I are very interested in making this trip, we're in Stillwater, OK so it's within striking distance. However, we're not very experienced riders. Should we stay away from this, or would we have a lot of fun? Would there be a lot of pressure to stay up with the group, or would we kind of do our own thing without slowing anyone down? We've never been on a group ride of any kind so don't know what to expect.

Thanks,

Toby

(KDX220, KDX200)

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Larry, I'm thinking the campgrounds are about 1/2 mile from the store.

Toby, how old is your son? I think you would enjoy yourselves if you came. There's definately terrain here that an inexperienced rider shouldn't try, at least not without others to help you thru the hairy sections. And we've all been there at one time or another. I've ridden with most of the people that are planning on coming to this ride and It's my opinion that you can count on any of them to help you in a tight spot. This ride is not a race. It's a casual ride to enjoy each others company, and some cool terrain. Sure there are always faster riders, but if they're behind me they won't be. lol We try to stay in keeping with trail ettiquette, by waiting on the person behind you at trail junctions and assigning someone to ride sweep to make sure we don't lose anyone. There are easy trails close to camp that you and your son can ride together that you don't need a guide for. I'm sure tho that you'll want to get in on the group rides too. Bring your camera. This won't be one of those 60 mile a day rides where you don't have time to stop and enjoy a bull session or the scenery. Last time on some of the hillclimbs we got pictures of everyone taking their run. Then there's sitting around the fire at night benchracing and cutting up. I think this ride would make a good first time for you guys.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Tangell, I'm just a recreational trail rider who is used to following my young sons along the trails. I'm sure you and your son would have a great time. Check out the picture page link in Trailryder42's signature for a look at some of the trails there.

Larry

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Toby, Me and my 10 year old at the time daughter (Tigger) went back in March with the gang. I had never been on a ride like this and wasn't sure what to expect either. I have been doing motocross for about 6 months at the time and had no problems with any of the terrain. My daughter did well too. There were things I didn't let her do such as the creek crossing, and if we go this time I probably still will not let her do it but she held her own with everythng else.

If you've never gone you owe it to yourself and your son to do it. This is a trip that will stay with you both forever, I know it has with me and Tigger, she still raves about it. Like Trailryder42 said, it's not a race and I'll add the part that it's an adventure. :thumb:

EDITED TO TELL YOU TO BRING A HEATER!!!

Last edited:

tangell

Oct 14, 2002
Thanks all for the information, it sounds like we can handle it. My son is 17 and is learning quickly, and we should be able to get more experience in before the ride. Count us in and please include us in the meal headcount - we'll be there with tent, extension cord and heater.

Toby

(KDX220 and KDX200)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by tangell
Count us in and please include us in the meal headcount - we'll be there with tent, extension cord and heater.

Toby

(KDX220 and KDX200)

That's great! Now I hope I can swing the trip, keeping fingers crossed

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have asked okie to close this forum until i am healed. it is just too damn depressing. :ugg:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've edited the list at the beginning of the thread. Nice new avatar, MX547. :yeehaw: Tangell, you and your son will have a blast on this ride. Even if your not as fast, you'll catch up with justql while he's changing spark plugs on the GG. :)

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Even if your not as fast, you'll catch up with justql while he's changing spark plugs on the GG. :) [/B]
If Justin's still fighting the GasGas I think that we should forcefully take it away (I'm thinking he might not put up much of a fight) and haul him and his checkbook to the nearest cycle shop to impulse buy whatever they have on the showroom floor.

Calcaneus

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
I plan to be in the area that weekend eating turkey with family. I'm going to try making a trip out to ride on Saturday. I may bring a couple of locals with me. I'll post back later with confirmation or regrets.

mkimbro1

Nov 12, 2001
Swift, I don't see my name on the list for the ride!

I know I rode clean up last year but does that mean I can't show this year.

Mike

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
That's a pretty good group so far. How many attended last year?

MX547 - are you going to come and ride the quad that's been offered? It would be a shame to let your battered and bruised body keep you from all the bench racing around the 'bomb' fire.

Larry

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Updated to here.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Person8

MX547 - are you going to come and ride the quad that's been offered?

nope, i will be in dallas that weekend for a cowboys game.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Brian, no need for the question mark by my name. I'll be coming up with Butch on Friday.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
OldMaicoNut, how many can sleep in your land yacht?

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
>MX547 - are you going to come and ride the quad that's been offered? It would be a shame to let your battered and bruised body keep you from all the bench racing around the 'bomb' fire.<

I hope you know, you just put this entire board in the sights of the Homeland Security Forces.

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
It may be late Saturday till we get there, due to kids basketball game, but me, my 10 and 6 yr old should be there. We will have a motor home. If there are no spaces left I will just squeeze in somewhere. I don't care about a hookup.

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
Hey Derek,

How big is the riding area? Jen and I won't get there until late, late, late Fri... make that early Saturday morning. We're gonna ride Sat., Sun. and into Monday or Tuesday if the place is big enough. We took the whole week off to Give lots of Thanks... :cool:

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
How many will be staying Sunday night? I'm trying to decide if I should or not. If I did that would give me all day Sunday to ride. Probably will if others will be around.

Larry

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…