WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by ATK ADAM
Actually, that's a myth that was disproved in an article in Dirt Rider a few years ago. There was very little difference in power between 16:1 and 50:1.
I don't know if I'd believe any technical information published in that, or any other dirt bike magazine. I do however know of some SAE technical publications that were written by McCullogh (sp?), the chainsaw manufacturer. During dynamometer testing they were able to increase horsepower as more oil was added into the fuel, up to the point of fouling the spark plug. This is why jetting has to be "spot on" when running oil mixtures greater than 32:1. I wish I could reference the SAE number on these papers, but the information I have is buried away in storage right now. Perhaps Rich or Eric would know?

ATK ADAM

Sep 22, 1999
So you guys must run ratios of 16:1 then if that gives the most power. . .right? I cant tell you from my own experience that there is no seat of the pants difference between 32:1 and 50:1. If you reread my post I said there was very little difference, measurable on a dyno yes but out in the real world-probably not.

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Adam - While the additional horsepower may be minimal, more oil would provide additional lubrication to the bearings, cylinder wall and rings thus minimizing wear. For those of us that ride our bikes hard and keep them for several seasons, this would make sense. It's much easier to change jets than change a piston and ring set. Besides, I can foul a plug at 50:1 just as easily as I can at 20:1.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by ATK ADAM
So you guys must run ratios of 16:1 then if that gives the most power. . .right?

I do.
At DW01 my 01 CR125 was running 16:1 due to the very fast wide open layout of the track. On the short tight SX track we normally ride on I usually run 20:1. I never run MY bikes at anything higher than 24:1 but I don't ride the woods either. In light to moderate load situations that much oil is usually overkill and will just end up in the silencer anyway.

ATK ADAM

Sep 22, 1999
Well ya got me. I think I'll keep running mine at 50:1 though. The bottom end in my wife's kdx was still running after 9 years doing it this way, but what do I know.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Amsoil 2000 @ 20:1 in our RM80s, TM125, 300MXC. Yes the 300 spooges when I play ride, otherwise silencers are grey tiped and dry undr race conditions. The RM is on its second piston and ring after 21 Harescrambles and Junior is a top 5 rider.

I haven't had the nerve to try 16:1 yet :scream:

rennym

Jun 19, 2000
We use Amsoil 100:1 in all the two stroke machines. We run it at 67:1 instead for a little more protection, and no spooge.

The stuff is great. I use it in all the 4 strokes as well, and not one engine failure.

One thing to consider is that Amsoil makes many different oils and grades, and they rank differently among their peers in each of those other products. The two stroke 100:1 oil is great in my opinion, and the 20W50 is great for the 4 strokes.

RM

400F MAN

May 19, 2001
Three of my friends now use amsoil in their 2 strokes pre mix and in their crank case. All three of them agree that their bikes are running better than ever. I first thought to use the 20w50 weight oil in my 400 ,but when I called the company they told me that the 10w40 was recamended. I'd like to know why they said not to use the 20w50? Have you ever heard of this?:think

Top Bottom